CHAPTER 4: Invited to a Ghost Band ✔️

TEXTING MY FOSTER parents Julie's address and gaining their approval is easier than I thought. I get a few thumbs up and grinning emojis. They probably would be ecstatic if I were invited for a sleepover.

"They're okay with us hanging out," I inform Julie before we get on a city bus to go to her house.

"Great!" she replies. "I just hope Flynn doesn't think that I'm replacing her before I get the chance to tell her the truth and apologize."

I pause, racking my brain for anything that I could say to help her. Considering I have no real memories, I don't really know how to interact with other teenage girls and comfort them.

"Hey, you've known each other for a while, right?" I ask Julie, placing a hand on her shoulder gently. "Then she knows you pretty well. If Flynn's smart, she won't walk out of your life because of one fight, okay?"

"You're probably right." Julie sighs. "I don't want to lose another important person. Flynn has been there for me through everything. When I lost my mom, my world fell apart. She was the glue that held me together."

I nod. I can imagine her pain since I've basically lost both of my parents.

"That's so sweet," I reply. "Maybe you could write a song about it."

"That's a great idea!" Julie perks up. "I have a box of lyrics in my room. We can compile it into a song, then practice with the band. Flynn hasn't replied to any of my texts, but I'm sure she won't stay away for too long."

I smile, glad that she is gaining more confidence.

"See? I knew we could figure this out," I say.

We get off at her neighborhood and walk the rest of the way. At her front door, Julie takes out a key and unlocks the house. We walk inside together and see a man hunched over a bunch of papers in the dining room.

"Dad!" she yells, jumping over and putting her hands on his shoulders.

"Hey! Good, you're home," he says with a chuckle. Then he turns to me."Who is this?"

I turn red, embarrassed that her dad doesn't know that Julie invited me.

"She's a new student at school. Her name's Lila Mae Williams," Julie tells him. "She's in some of my classes."

"Hi! It's nice to meet you." I offer a wave.

"It's nice to meet you too."

"What's all this?" Julie asks, bending over to read the pamphlets cast across the table.

"Ah, just you know, some stuff on other school with music programs and...and some private lessons stuff," he responds. "I know it looks like a mess, but your dad's got you."

It's endearing to watch their interactions. I wonder if someday Mr. Williams will ever treat me like his own daughter. I know that the Williams want me to feel at home, but I still don't have a father/daughter or mother/daughter relationship with them. The closest person I have to family is Teresa, one of the younger girls.

"Well, luckily for you, I got back in at my school," Julie reveals. "And they're letting Lila Mae audition, so I thought I could bring her over to practice."

"Wait, wait what?" he asks, clearly relieved. "You're not joking with me now?"

"I went down, put on a show with some ghosts..." I elbow Julie, "getters, go-getters, and Principal Lessa let me back in."

"Yes! Yes!" Mr. Molina casts the papers in the air and I watch as the father and daughter hug fondly. I wonder if my father would be as proud if I told him I got into a musical program. Technically that hadn't happened yet, but the sentiment was still there. "Oh, you're awesome, I am so happy for you. You are the best!"