CHAPTER 20: Wow (reprise) ✔️

MY EYELIDS ARE heavy with exhaustion, but that's something I can't control now. I must focus on getting through the day.

"Hello, students and faculty members," someone announces through the speakers, startling me. "Just a friendly reminder: tickets are still available for the marching band practice this weekend. All-you-can-eat pancakes..."

"Hey!" Luke's voice breaks through.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss.

Talking to four ghosts in a public park is one thing. No one knew me there, though the police officers did look at me as if I needed to have my parents called.

However, school is a different matter. People know who I am here! High school is a gossip mill. I don't need to add this to whatever lies they may be churning

"We need to talk about what song we're going to play tonight. I was thinking...'Great.' But I would be down for whatever you want," Luke says, casually leaning against the lockers. "You're the injured one so you can choose. Wanna sing 'Shadows'?"

"No!" I reply a little too quickly.

People's attention is drawn to me. I drop all of the textbooks I'm holding in my right arm. The loud noise draws all of their eyes to me, but I did that so they would think I said "No!" because I was about to drop my stuff. That's better than thinking I'm crazy.

I clear my throat and grab my stuff. I put most of the books back into the locker and take out my phone.

"Hey, thanks for calling!" I say into the phone.

"You're just going to take a phone call while we're talking...do you know how rude that is?" Luke asks, offended.

"People might think I'm talking to myself," I hiss.

"Right. Nice!"

"Yeah, no I think 'Great' is a great choice," I agree. "We're not singing that other song."

"Okay, fine by me," he replies. Luke rocks on the balls of his heels. I find that unusual since he normally isn't nervous around me. That's a nervous tendency. "That's pretty much what I wanted to talk to you about so..."

"Oh! Okay," I respond, nodding.

"Uh, actually no, there is one more thing that I wanted to talk to you about, it's...look, I know I'm not the easiest person to work with and we've had our differences," he rambles, "but I think you make me a better writer. And a better person."

"That's nice" is all I manage to say out loud.

My heart is constricting and I can feel the tendrils of fear wrapping themselves around my lungs.

"That's nice?" he questions, taking a step closer to me.

I bite my lip.

"I think we make each other better. After all," I lower my voice for privacy, "I wrote that song for you."

His eyes light up at remembering last night. Luke is as vibrant as ever - ghosts can't get tired - boy am I jealous.

"You know what? Why-why don't you just ditch school today?" Luke asks, taking another step closer. "Let's go rehearse."

What on Earth is he trying to do me?

"N-no," I stutter, dissatisfied at the weakness of my answer. The last time he suggested this my response was firmer. What had changed? I don't understand.

"Why not?" He gives me those terrible, repulsive puppy eyes.

Absolutely disgusting.

"I am at school," I tell him pointedly.