CHAPTER 14: Dance ✔️

AS IF BREAKING curfew isn't bad enough, Julie and I missed three class periods and are late to our fourth class. What school holds a dance on a school night?

"And right...and left...step touch, step touch," our instructor was saying as we run in late. "Step tou---Julie and Lila Mae, how nice of you to join us."

I try to keep my head high and not concentrate on the fact that everyone is staring at us.

It wouldn't be the first time.

"I'm so sorry, we overslept," Julie says for the both of us.

"Okay, take your spots." Our teacher nods her head in that direction.

We go to stand next to Flynn who is smiling innocently.

"So, why didn't you wake us up? We missed our first three classes," I say.

"Julie said she was never going to show her face again at school," Flynn defends. "And I didn't think you'd care."

"I care if my foster parents hear about it and they ground me!" I hiss.

"I'm a very literal person!" Flynn shoots back.

"Good reach!" the teacher instructs.

I feel like an octopus the way I'm moving my arms. Oooo.

"It's okay," Julie responds. "It's those three stupid ghosts that I'm really upset at."

"I'd kill 'em if they weren't already dead," I threaten.

"Having a band is supposed to help your social life, not ruin it." Flynn's words don't help us.

"Ex-band," Julie corrects.

"Right, sorry," Flynn says.

"It's all so messed up," Julie continues, "I thought they were in this with us. Obviously I was wrong."

"Hey, don't blame yourself," Flynn comforts. "You can only be so strong when three cute ghosts ask you to be in a band."

"Say it a little louder for the people in the front. I don't think they heard you." I give them a pointed look. "You can't just talk about ghosts like it's normal."

"Well they're cute. And speaking of cute, Julie have you talked to Nick today?" Flynn asks. "He was pretty chatty at the dance."

"No, and I'm kinda dreading it," Julie admits. "At least I know I won't see him in this class."

"Speak of the devil!" I say, standing up straight. "Look who's here."

"You've got to be kidding me," Julie says.

"What?" Flynn asks, not seeing him.

"What are they doing here?" Julie freaks out.

"Right on time, Coach Barron," our dance teacher says. "So, students, Coach Barron and I have decided that his lacrosse team will be a part of our class for a few weeks. Many pro athletes have used dance to help them with coordination and mobility."

As she speaks, one of the lacrosse players does a mock twirl, then falls. I chuckle along with most of the teenagers.

"This isn't about flirting with girls," Coach Barron says. The guys laugh. "It's about making us better so we can actually win a game. We lost against Burbank. Burbank!"

I don't know Burbank's record with lacrosse, but from the way the coach is talking...

Oof.

"Let's all remember that composure is a big part of dance," our teacher says to him. "Everybody pair up!"