The Date

**Lainie's POV**

Brandon: Hey Lainie. We still on for a movie today.

Lainie: Absolutely.

Brandon: Great. Wanna see the new Davis Stone movie? It's supposed to be pretty intense.

Lainie: Sure, I love Davis Stone.

Brandon: Awesome, I'll pick you up at 7.

Lainie: Ok, see ya then.

Courtney was kind enough to come over and help me get ready for my date with Brandon. I insisted that everything be pretty casual: clothes, make-up and hair. Courtney used a flat iron on my hair, so it wouldn't be too frizzy. The only make-up she used was mascara, lip gloss and a little bronzer (whatever the hell that is) and I chose my favorite pair of boyfriend jeans and a black tank top with flats.

 The only make-up she used was mascara, lip gloss and a little bronzer (whatever the hell that is) and I chose my favorite pair of boyfriend jeans and a black tank top with flats

I quickly pushed Courtney out the door at 6:45 because I didn't want her judemental eyes on me when Brandon arrived.

Knock knock knock

"Hey, Brandon."

"Lainie, you look great. Ready for the movie?"

"Thanks, yes. Let's go."

I was pleasantly surprised when we were in the car and the conversation wasn't that awkward. I told him about my job and the upcoming awards ceremony, which he thought was pretty cool. I learned that he is an app designer for a small software start-up and that he has a band with his buddies that plays around town on the weekends.

"That's so cool that you're in a band. What's the band name, maybe I've heard of it." I ask excitedly.

"Nuclear Pyro. I play drums."

"I've heard of you guys, but I've never heard you play."

"We have a gig this weekend, you should come." He says smiling at me.

"That sounds like so much fun."

We encounterdd some traffic on the way to the theater, but made it just in time to get popcorn and skip the previews. We settled into our seats and just as Jace had predicted, Brandon put his arm around my shoulders. I was a little relieved that he didn't try to kiss me during the movie because it was really good and I wouldn't have wanted to miss any of it.

When we arrived back at my place, Brandon held my hand as we walked up to my apartment, continuing to talk about the movie.

"I had a really nice time, Lainie. I'm glad I stopped to talk to you yesterday."

"Me too. Will you text me this week about your gig? I'd really like to check it out."

"Definitely. Good night, Lainie."

After a brief awkward pause, Brandon leaned in and gently kissed my lips. It was nice.

"Good night, Brandon."

I watched Brandon walk away down the hall before I entered my apartment, but I could only think of one thing....Jace.

*********

**Jace's POV**

I didn't want to call or text Lainie last night about her date, not knowing how long she would be out with him. Needless to say, I was a little anxious for Monday morning to roll around so I could ask her about it at work.

"Hey, Lainie. How'd the date go last night?"

"Morning, Jace. It was good, we had a nice time."

""Good"?, "Nice"? Sounds like a dud. Better luck next time, kid."

"Jace we had a great time. He was easy to talk to, polite, cute. It was good."

"Did he put the moves on you in the movie theater?" I ask wiggling my brows at her.

"He didn't try to make out with me, but he did put his arm around me."

"Wow, found yourself a classy one."

"Apparently not all male minds are the same afterall?" She teases.

"No kiss, huh?"

"No kiss at the movie theater. He kissed me when he brought me home, but it was just a peck."

"So you think you'll see him again?"

"I may go see his band play this weekend, wanna come with me? I may need back-up in case they suck."

"What band is he in?"

"Nuclear Pyro."

Just then Mike shoots up from his desk across from us.

"Nuclear Pyro?!? Did I hear you say you went on a date with one of the guys from Nuclear Pyro??" Mike's eyes look like they're going to pop out of his head.

"I take it you've heard of them?" Lainie asks Mike.

"Heard of them? They're only the best local band ever!! They do some great covers, but their originals are killer."

"Mike, would you like to come this weekend to see them play?"

"That would be amazing, I'm so in!" Mike replies excitedly. "So Lainie, which one did you go out with?"

"Brandon. He said he plays drums."

"You went on a date with Brandon "Fast Hands" Fletcher?!?!"

"Fast Hands"? What kind of a nickname is that? What can he like drum really fast or something?" I ask, thinking this must be the dumbest nickname I've ever heard.

"He can, but that's not how he got the nickname, if you know what I mean." Mike says wiggling his eyebrows.

"All I know is last night, I went out with Brandon and there was nothing fast about his hands." Lainie reassures us.

"Not yet." Warns Mike.

"Shut up Mike, don't you have work to do?" I shoot him a warning glare to shut his trap.

This is just great. This could not get any worse. I am helping my best friend and crush hook up with some womanizing band god. I've gotta figure out way to get "Fast Hands" out of the picture without Lainie thinking she scared him away. It would kill her self esteem. At this point, I'm pretty sure Mike is officially on Team Fast Hands, so getting him to help me is out of the question.