Promotion

Monday morning rolls around and Jace and I walk into work; everyone is buzzing about the win on Saturday. Before Jace and I can start up our computers, Jack is calling our team into the conference room. We assume it's to congratulate us on the win, but he could just as easily send us an email.

We enter the conference room and are greeted with decorations and a  breakfast buffet spread across the large table. Jack starts clapping as our team enters the room. "Congratulations team!"

We all grab a plate and fill it with food before taking a seat around the table. As we dig in, Jack begins to gush about our win at the VGAAs. "The board and I are beyond thrilled with your win on Saturday. The board has decided to thank you all for your hard work by gifting you all a bonus for a job well done. It will be electronically deposited into your accounts by Friday."

We all cheer and clap in response to Jack's announcement before he silences us. "Today is your day to celebrate, but first thing tomorrow we begin discussing current projects and which ones may have the potential for a nomination at next year's VGAAs."

Jack exits the conference room to leave us to breakfast and we all start talking about next year's ceremony and which games could potentially be nominated. After about 40 minutes of talking and eating we all begin making our way back to our desks. Before I can reach mine, Jack calls me into his office.

"What do you think that's about?" Jace asks me.

"I don't know." I respond a little bewildered.

As I enter Jack's office, he asks me to close the door and sit down. "Lainie, the board was not only thrilled with the win, but they were also impressed with the work you did."

"It was a team effort, sir." I reply humbly.

"It was a team effort, but you clearly led that team and make some critical decisions that solidified that win. The board recognizes that. In fact, they want to make sure our win isn't a one time thing. We would like to offer you a promotion as Lead Developer. You would lead your team on all projects, delegate tasks and make necessary decisions concerning projects. The bonus I mentioned in the conference will be doubled for you and we can offer you a 20% increase in your salary."

I sit there in shock, I can't believe what I'm hearing. I just sit there in silence for a few moments, digesting what Jack's just told me.

"Lainie, if you're unsure, you can take some time to think about it." Jack must suspect hesitation in me.

"No, that won't be necessary. I accept." I reply with a wide smile.

"Excellent!" You and I will meet with the board tomorrow morning to go over the specifics of the position and sign some paperwork. Congrats, Lainie, you deserve this."

"Thank you, sir." I return to my desk, still in shock when Jace notices me. "So, what did Jack have to say, Lainie?" He asks peeking over the cubicle wall.

"Jack made me Lead Developer." I reply, still stunned by the news.

"Lainie, are you serious?!?!" Jace runs around the desk to pick me up into a big hug. "That's amazing, I'm so happy for you!"

He finally sets me down so I can tell him everything Jack said.

"You know what this means, right?" He askes as I look at him with a furrowed brow.

"We have to celebrate. What do ya say? Can I take my beautiful girlfriend out for dinner tonight to celebrate her promotion?" He asks with a big grin on his face.

"I would love that! Thank you, Jace." I hug him again.

********

Jace and I parted ways after work so we could each go home and change before dinner. It's not really my thing to get all dressed up, but I love the reaction I get from Jace when he sees me. And because I don't really know how to do that stuff, I made Courtney meet me at my place to help me.