Chapter 12: The Spring Child

"Yes...Yes I understand...Sorry, I'll be late for the joint practice session..."

Kenji was sitting in the living room when he overheard Haruko talking on the phone. From the conversation, he guessed he was telling her club ahead of time that she'll be date because of that date.

"Yes...Yes...No worries, thank you for understanding...Yes...Have a good day too."

The phone called ended as he heard silence in the kitchen. Few minutes have passed as Haruko came out of the kitchen bringing out dishes of food to place onto the dining room table.

"Heard your conversation in the kitchen..." Kenji looked to the girl as she set the plates down. "You told them ahead that you won't be there the whole morning right?"

"Yeah I just did. They said it was unfortunate that I'll miss the first half and a decent portion of the second half but what can you do." She said sitting across Kenji with all the dishes in the middle.

The two took their chopsticks in their hands as they did their grace before eating. After the grace they began to pick at their meal.

"It's been a while since we went to see grand father, after visiting him we have to visit my mom and dad." Kenji looked at her as he explained. "I will be staying over to hang out with them. That means you'll be home alone, will you be okay?"

"Kenjiji I am in high school now, I'll be okay." She took a bite of her dish as he talked. "If anything I could also stay over at Gion's if that will help."

"Anything but that! You are a girl and he is boy I won't allow it!" Kenji slammed his hands on the table as Haruko continue to eat. "Just make sure to have someone walk you home at night, there are scary people at night."

"Kenjiji I ain't a kid anyone, if something were to happen I could call 119* if anything were to happen." She said. "Don't worry so much..."

"Fine fine, just wanted to make sure you are safe but I see how it is..." Kenji grumbled under his breath.

The rest of dinner was silent as they continued to eat thinking about the day to come.

"Kenjiji, wake up..."

Kenji grumbled as Haruko was shaking him as he lied in bed. "What are you doing, it's so early?"

"You were talking about how today was the day and yet you are the one still in bed." Haruko walked to the window as she opened the curtains letting light in. "Come on, we have to go to the flower shop and the grocery to get the things."

She left the grumbling man to whine as she left the room to get her stuff ready for when she heads back to Jinko for the joint practice with Keijo. She packed all her books and supply into a nicer tote bog since she didn't want to bring her school bag out on a day like this.

She chose to wear a white blouse with a ribbon on the collar with a black skirt that went to her knees and black flats for the shoes. For her hair she chose to go with a ponytail braided hairstyle.

By the time she got ready, Kenji was already waiting for her out in the front of the house as she closed the door behind her.

"And you said for me to hurry up..." He walked up to her as he patted her head. "Come on, let's go..."

She nodded as Kenji lead the way with the girl following after him. The day was still dark as they had to leave early in order to have enough time to make it to where grand father resided, in Osaka. From Osaka to Kanagawa, it was about a 4 hour drive while in plane it was a hour.

"So the plan is we take a taxi there and you'll be taking plane back so you can make it for you club's practice." Kenji was looking on his phone for flight times. "The latest flight will be around late afternoon, would that be okay?"