Chapter 9

(Trigger warning: Animal Abuse)

The city was quiet tonight. No crimes could be found. The last few weeks have been really hard, Aunt may still in the hospital, not getting much better. The Avengers trying to catch me a couple of times again during my patrols. Clint tried the taser arrow again but my spider sense was more alert this time. The Avengers only have been coming in pairs or in three's to come capture me. They obviously haven't got the memo that it would be more smart if they all came at once. But I'm pretty glad it has been simple for me to get away for now. I have a huge Spanish text soon  and i haven't studied at all. Although i have a photographic memory basically but not studying for such a long time isn't gonna do me any good.

I'm sitting on a lamp post in my signature Spider-man crouch. Cars are passing by and i spot some people take photo's of me on their phone. 

I start swinging home slowly. Checking the time, it was about 5 pm. I have English homework due tomorrow that i haven't even looked at yet, so getting home early is wise. I swing by a street that's filled with abandoned old buildings. It was empty and dark. The street has a few small, yellow lamp posts scattered around. It smelt bad, bad as in piss.

What stuck out though was that a group of white and black bunnies was sitting on the sidewalk. I landed a few feet away from them on the road trying not to scare them. There was about 5 baby rabbits sitting under a lamp. I get my phone out and call animal services.

"Hello this is New York Animal Welfare how can we help you?" A man with an accent spoke.

"Hiya yeah, i found a group of baby rabbits just sitting on the side of the street."

"okay, whats the street name and I'll need your name and phone number please,"

"Its Fallen road, the end part of it"

A moment had past and i heard a keyboard clicking and typing.

"Yup..... and your name and phone number please." He sounded unsure.

"uhhh, i cant give you my phone number but my name is Spider-man..." This was NOT gonna work.

"yeah yeah, funny guy. Now we need your name or we will take this a prank call." Bored voice, I could tell he was getting tired.

"No seriously-  Look, can you just send someone to get these bunnies before they get scared and run away. They're definitely domestic rabbits and its cold outside. I promise you this isn't a prank call." If he wasn't gonna send someone to collect them, i'd have to do it myself.

"Okay 'Spider-man'. I had a long day and i don't need some drunk rowdy pretending to be a blue and red gent swinging in a spandex. Now give me your name or your imaginary white rabbits will be your problem."  His accent strongly coming through his anger. 

I'll just do this myself.

"Alright, sorry for bothering you sir. Have a good night." I made sure my voice sounded fake and tame.

Clicking the end call button, I searched on my phone for the closest corner store. the closest one was 0.5 killer meters.  I guess i cant really expect it to be that close to an abandoned street. 

I arrived a small empty convenience store. Opening the door, a bell rung to signal i entered. There was an old ,Chinese lady. She was reading a book and didn't acknowledged that that Spider-man just entered her store. 

the shelves were packed with different sorts of unhealthy food. At the back were some cheap mops, trash bags and buckets. I found a fairly large basket near the laundry isle. When i came up to the counter to pay for it, the woman looked up and her eyes widened a bit at my costume. She didn't say anything the whole time and just scanned my item while staring at me. I put $15 on the counter.

Rushing out the building, I arrived with the bunnies again 2 minutes later. Luckily they were still there, huddled together against a wall. They looked so scared.  All 5 of them looked small and innocent. Carefully and really, really slowly and crouched down to their level and picked up a white rabbit. The bunny wriggled about a bit but stayed freezed for the most. 

Each time I picked one up and put them in the basket, they all felt thin and terrified. I looked at their lower back, a scar was on there. As if someone stuck needles in them.  

After picking up the basket full of white and black bunnies, I peeked inside the basket. It was scary but they looked like they were experimented on.

Frowning, I very gently and slowly started swinging through the street. An animal shelter wasn't very far so I came inside and dropped off the rabbits. The lady at the reception didn't ask me for a name so that was helpful not needing to explain what a secret identity is.

But be four I gave the Lady the basket of rabbits, I took at photo of the bunnies backs so that i can later study the picture. I was curious if these rabbits were illegally tested on.