2

(KUROO'S PERSPECTIVE)

Kenma stayed over at my house that night. We got tired after Just Dance and eating Pork Cutlet bowls. I watched Kenma groggily rub his eyes as we watched My Hero Academia. He kept on closing his eyes for a split second, and then jolting up. He was tired.

"You tired, Kitten?" I asked. Kenma's eyes widened at what I'd called him.

"Kitten?"

"Yeah,'' I said, "because you are basically a human cat." He looked less surprised now, and more of his usual self.

"Don't call me that," he said.

"Yeah, sure whatever. Anyways, you wanna go to sleep?" Kenma just shrugged. I turned the television off and by the time I started to head to my room, Kenma was fast asleep on the couch. He looked so peaceful. His eyes were closed and he was huddled under the blankets.He looked cute when he was sleeping. I didn't want to wake him, but I couldn't leave him like that either. Instead, I picked him up. Kenma was small and light. He felt as if he only weighed about eighty or so pounds. It was adorable. I tiptoed into my room, doing my best not to wake him, and laid him on my bed. I pushed him over to the right a little bit, and got in bed myself. I suddenly realized how weird it was, sleeping in the same bed with my best friend. Then I remembered I was straight and we didn't think of each other like that at all. We were just two boys who were best friends and happened to be sleeping in the same bed. That was all. I stared at Kenma some more. God, he was so cute when he was sleeping. I couldn't stop staring. I didn't get much sleep that night.

TWO WEEKS LATER

I stopped talking to girls after that night. I wasn't sure why. Girls were pretty. They had stuff like silky long hair you could just run your hands through all day and things like boobs. I didn't really care for boobs, but hey, you take what you can get. Girls didn't really appeal to me anymore. Besides, I preferred spending my time with Kenma. Who knew watching a human cat play Animal Crossing for three hours straight was entertaining? It didn't really matter what we were doing, just watching Kenma fixate over stuff was fun.

One day kenma and I were sitting outside of school on the stairs. He was playing a game on his phone. A pretty girl with long black flowing hair approached us.

"Hey," she said shyly.

"Hi!" I smiled. Kenma looked up from his game.

"Uhm I just wanted to let you know your hair looks really nice today," she flirted. That took me by surprise. I wasn't sure what to say. I wasn't really in the mood to flirt. Kenma seemed to read my mood and asked if I could go to the vending machines with him.

"Uhm, what is your name?" I asked the girl.

"Yamamoto," she said.

"Well my kitten wants to go to the vending machines before we go home and study for exams, so I'm sorry but I have to go."

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" She said. "I didn't know you had a boyfriend!"

"Boyfriend?" I asked. Kenma's face went red out of embarrassment, and he just focused on his game. "Kenma isn't my boyfriend, we are just best friends."

"Oh, sorry! I just assumed since you called him Kitten."

"Oh, no," I replied, "It is just his nickname since he is a human cat."

"Yeah and it sucks," Kenma interjected.

"Well I will just go then," Yamamoto said, clearly knowing she had been rejected. I sighed in relief when she left. Kenma looked over at me with an annoyed look.

"Geez, Tetsu. You are almost as bad as Oikawa with the fan girls," he said sarcastically.

"She wasn't really my type, and I wasn't in the mood," I said.

"I figured you weren't in the mood," Kenma replied, "but she really looked like your type. She was really pretty and had long hair. Probably a straight A student." I wasn't sure how to reply, so I offered to go and get some pocky sticks from the vending machine.

Weeks past, and nine people had asked me out, boys and girls alike. Kenma was acting weird too. I sighed in bed that night. Every one of them didn't feel right. Plus, Kenma always needed to get something when they approached. Wait. That was weird. Like he was...distracting me from them. I knew Kenma was smart, but he couldn't read minds. Was he jealous? I mean, I was the only human he liked. Ever. Or was there something else. Did he like me more than friends? Or was I just thinking that? Once I put the pieces together it made sense. When he told me he liked me a month ago, did he mean more than friends? Oh. OH. How could I be so stupid? But I was straight. I liked girls. Didn't I? That was what Dad always said. I remember that day I told him I thought a boy on a television show was cute. He told me I couldn't think like that because I was straight. I remember him slapping me, saying boys didn't think thoughts like that. But then why did I? And why did Kenma? I didn't sleep that night.

I sat next to Kenma at lunch the next day. He offered to let me play a game with him. For the first time, I turned him down. I wasn't in the mood. He kept the same expression. He didn't like me, could he? But his eyebrows furrowed. Just the slightest glint of anger? Sadness? Confusion? Where was the boy who didn't care?

After practice that day, I offered to walk Kenma home. He nodded, and we walked out of the changing room together. A tall boy from the swimming team walked towards us. Not again. He had short blond hair and piercing blue eyes. He was muscular and handsome. Hot, even.

"You are Nekoma's volleyball captain, no?" he asked.

"Uhm, yeah. I am," I said.

"Cool. I am the swim team captain. I watched your most recent volleyball match. You are good. Your spikes are awesome." I felt my face getting hot. Kenma kept the same blank expression. No. It wasn't. There was a hint of jealousy. It was stronger than usual.

"Uhm Tetsu, I have to go home," he said. My attention snapped to him.

"Of course, sorry," I replied. So Kenma did like me. He was jealous. I smirked. I couldn't help it. Kenma, the boy who didn't care about anything was jealous. "Just give me a second," I told him. I turned back to the swimming captain. I knew it was bad, but I wanted to flirt with this dude. Just a little. To see Kenma's reaction. "What is your name?" I asked the blond boy.

"Haru," he replied. A smile played on my lips. I bit my lip. Kenma looked away. I looked Haru up and down.

"I don't usually say this, but damn. Are you sure you don't have a boyfriend?" I asked.

Haru winked at me.

"The spot is open if you want it." That was enough. I could sense Kenma's rage. As cute as it was, I should stop. I was hurting Kenma.

"Sorry pretty boy, but I'll pass," I said. Haru seemed to understand.

"Of course," he said, "well if you ever change your mind, I'm here." He walked off. I took Kenma by his arm. I didn't give him time to process what I was doing. I dragged him over to the cherry blossom tree. I put my hands on his shoulders and looked down on him. Kenma had a confused expression.

"You can't fool me anymore, you know," I said.

"I don't understand," he replied innocently. A little too innocently.

"You underestimated me. You were jealous back there. You were jealous of Yamamoto. I admit, you had me fooled for a while. You like me, don't you," I interrogated, "I have to admit, you are cute when you are jealous." Kenma looked dumbfounded.

"H...how?"

"Oh, come on Kitten. You thought you could be sneaky? It doesn't matter." My forehead touched his. I whispered in his ear, "I like you too." Kenma shook. His face was tomato read and he looked shocked, unsure of how to react. He couldn't calculate the situation. I was too smooth. What I didn't predict, was him pressing his lips against mine, on his tiptoes. I don't think he expected it either. It was instinct. I kissed him back. That's when I knew for sure I wasn't straight.

Our lips parted. The kitten was mine.