19

(KENMA'S PERSPECTIVE)

Chemo was harder than ever before. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to wake up at two in the morning, puking all over Kuroo. He just smiled and took care of me. He didn't seem to care. Why do you stay? I often asked myself. Every night was either puke, constipation, diarrhea, or constant pain. I screamed most nights. I don't know how Kuroo stayed and brushed my hair back. I don't know why Kuroo kissed me right after I puked. I thought he was gross. He thought it was affection. I'd lost weight in the past few months. My ribs were visible. I looked sick. My hair didn't fall out this time. I'd taken vitamins to keep it growing. I wanted at least one part of me that was the same for Kuroo. I still dyed it, but only the tips. I was too tired to dye the rest of my hair. Soon enough, after harsh chemotherapy and radiation, transplant day came.

"Stop messing with your IV," Kuroo said as I sat in my room, scratching the pace where they put my IV. I didn't like looking at a needle piercing my skin and not being able to tear it out.

"This IV itches," I replied. "I don't like it." Kuroo walked over to my hospital bed.

"Can you move?"

"Why?"

"I wanna cuddle you."

"Fine," I said, moving over. Kuroo plopped into the bed next to me and kissed my neck lovingly.

"God, I love seeing you in a dress."

"This is a hospital gown," I replied.

"Doesn't matter. You still look hot." I rolled my eyes. Kuroo pulled me into his chest. "This is nice." I wouldn't admit it, but it was. Feeling Kuroo's warm body against mine in the cool air felt good. He nuzzled my ear. "So I know you probably don't wanna talk about this now, but when do you want to get married?" he asked.

"I dunno. When cancer's over."

"But it may never be." Kuroo closed his eyes and sighed. "It keeps coming back and...I dunno, I just want to do it before I regret it." Kuroo was right. This STEM cell transplant would help, but no one knew how much time I had left. Cancer kept on coming back. I doubted I would last even 5 years.

"Let's get married in four months," I said. "Does that make me crazy?" Kuroo smiled.

"Yeah. Let's get married in four months."

"I don't want it to be anything big," I said. "Could we just go to court or something? We could invite our family to hang out after. Just the ten of us plus my mom. That would be nice, no?"

"That sounds great," Kuroo said, "but I have one condition. We can wear suits and stuff, but yours has to be white. And you have to wear a veil~"

"A veil?! No. No way!"

"Please~" he begged, "I want to be able to lift it and kiss you. Especially since you will look so beautiful and even though it's just a partnership thing-" the words hit hard. Partnership thing. I'd almost forgotten same-sex marriage wasn't legal in Japan.

"Wait," I said.

"What?"

"We can get married."

"How?"

"Fuck, let's go to America and get married. It's legal there, no?" A slight smile played on Kuroo's lips.

"Yeah," he sighed. "Let's get married in America. Oh! We could have our Honeymoon at Disney World in Florida!"

"What's Florida again?" Kuroo sighed. Just as he was about to reply, Doctor Ito came in.

"Hello Kozume San, Kuroo San!" he said.

"Hello!" Kuroo cheerfully replied.

"Hey Doctor Ito Sama," I said.

"Ready to start the transplant?" he asked. Kuroo and I nodded. A nurse came in and took some instruments out. They gave me some drugs to help my body get used to this procedure. I felt numb and tipsy.

"Kuroo and I are gonna get married," I said.

"Really?" Doctor Ito asked. "That is wonderful!"

"Yeah. We are gonna go to America! The place of fake freedom that is run by a living orange. Only to get married though. It's more corrupt than Japan!"

"Are you high?" Kuroo asked.

"Maybe...I dunno but I feel numb. This medicine makes me feel so out of it." Kuroo stroked my hair.

"It's okay, Kitten." I purred. The nurse walked towards me with something sharp in her hand.

"I think the nurse is trying to kill me," I whispered loud enough that everyone could hear. She stabbed the stabby thing in my arm.

"No, that's a shot," Kuroo said.

"Stabby stab stab stab stabby stab," I replied, "sHe'S mUrDeRiNg Me!" Before I knew it, I'd fallen asleep in Kuroo's arms.

I woke up feeling weird. The room spun around me. Why am I so dizzy? I wondered. I blinked my eyes a couple of times and watched Kuroo sleep peacefully beside me in my hospital bed. The doctor was gone. I watched the room spin around me. I shook my head and poked Kuroo on his nose.

"Kurooooooo~" I whispered. He didn't budge. "Kuro." He continued to snore. "Tetsu? Rooster? Kuroo fucking Testsurou?" No response. I shook him. That didn't work either. It was time for the big guns. "My only true love, my soulmate, the one I love the most please wake up!" No response. I sighed in annoyance. "Daddy?" Kuroo's eyes popped open.

"What, Kitten?" he groaned.

"Did you seriously only wake up because I called you daddy?"

"What do you mean?"

"Bitch I've been trying to wake you for the past five minutes. I called you Kuroo, Kuro, Tetsu, Kuroo fucking Tetsurou, rooster, and my only true love, my soulmate, and the one I love the most. You didn't wake up to any of them you dipshit."

"I didn't hear a thing," he yawned. I sighed and fell back on the bed. "What do you need?"

"Video games and food," I replied.

"Oh, okay," he said as he got out of bed. Kuroo went to his backpack and shuffled through the scattered items. "Let's see....we have pocky sticks, senbei, melon pan, and pretz."

"Hmmm. I want you to brink the pocky and pretz." Kuroo brought over the pocky and pretz along with our Nintendo Switch. I started up Animal Crossing. "Now feed me!" I said as I opened my mouth.

"What? Why would I do that?"

"Because you are a loving fiance who is helping his boyfriend with his cancer treatment?"

"I clean up your puke. I'm pretty sure you can handle your food. Besides, you owe me."

"The cancer patient owes you?"

"Ugh don't use your cancer pity on me," Kuroo said as he opened the Pretz box. He took out the long brown stick. I opened my mouth, and Kuroo stuck it inside.

"Mmmmm...and yeah I hate doing the cancer pity thing, I just wanted to see if it worked on you." Kuroo playfully shoved me. "Again," I said. He fed me another stick. Kuroo popped a pocky into his mouth. "Can I taste it?" I asked. Kuroo nodded. I kissed his lips. "Mmmm...was that vanilla?"

"Yeah."

"Such a shame," I said dramatically, "you already taste like vanilla. I could barely taste the pocky."

"Sorry Kitten. I didn't know you were so obsessed with me that you know what I taste like." I shoved my hand in Kuroo's face.