16

(KUROO'S PERSPECTIVE)

I woke up the next morning with kenma in my arms. I held him close to my chest and played with his hair. I prayed the morning would never end. Kenma felt safe. I stopped playing with his hair and closed my eyes, savoring the moment.

"You should play with my hair some more," Kenma groaned. I didn't realize he was awake.

"You were great last night," I said, remembering the intense intimacy we shared yesterday in the dead of night. Kenma sat up and looked in the mirror, rubbing his eyes.

"I don't remember having this many hickies, but I don't mind." I hugged him once more. He was beautiful in the morning. He was small but handsome as hell. He stretched his arms. I thought I was going to die just looking at him. His soft hair resting on his shoulders. His pale, bare skin glistening in the sunlight.

"Wow, you look even better in the daylight." Kenma got off the bed and slid into my clothes. They were too large for him, but he looked adorable nonetheless. "My clothes look better on you then they do on me," I said. Kenma smiled at me and sat on my lap. It was these mornings with him that I cherished the most. That's why when my phone rang, I knew that these perfect mornings couldn't last forever.

I checked my phone to see who called. It was my mother. I quickly answered the phone. My perfect morning was over.

"Mom?!" I asked. I heard sobbing on the other line. She was scream-crying. My heart stopped. "What's wrong?"

"It's your dad," she sobbed. "He's gone!"

"What do you mean?"

"He's gone!" she screamed. I hung up the phone and quickly got dressed. Kenma grabbed the keys and put on his mask. We raced to the car and drove to my parent's house. When we got there, I heard screams from the inside. I opened the door to find my mom crying over a body. My old man's dead body. Kenma let go of my hand. His eyes widened and he looked like he was going to puke. I just stood there, unsure of what to do. My old man was dead on the floor. I dropped my phone and heard a crack. I fell on my knees. My mom continued to scream and cry. Kenma dialed 911. He then went to check my old man's pulse. My mom screamed again.

"TETSU COME BACK! DON'T LEAVE ME! PLEASE!" She shook his body. I winced at her screams. She cried in his chest. Kenma looked over at me and shook his head. There wasn't a pulse. He was gone. The old man was gone. I didn't feel a thing. I didn't feel remorse or grief. Just empty. I didn't care that he died. My mom continued to sob. I walked over and sat down next to her. I put a hand on her back for comfort. She pushed me away and turned to look at me. Her eyes were wide and angry. She grabbed my shirt and shook me. "IT'S YOUR FAULT YOU FAG!" she yelled. "HE KILLED HIMSELF BECAUSE OF YOU!" she pushed me to the floor and grabbed a butcher knife from the kitchen counter. She stumbled and traced my neck with the knife. "You...need...to...die," she quivered. "If you die, then he is avenged." I didn't know what to do.

"P-please, don't do this," I stuttered. Kenma looked over at us in fear. My mom took the knife in her hands and pointed it at Kenma. She slowly walked over to him.

"N-no..." she said. "You need to die. I lost my son to Satan and my husband killed himself because of you." Kenma backed away. He looked over at me for help. I got ready to lunge at her. Just as I was about to jump and save Kenma, the door busted open. Two men in police uniforms held guns and walked into the room. My mom lunged at Kenma with the knife. Before she reached him, an officer pushed her down and handcuffed her. I quivered. My mom almost killed Kenma. My mom almost killed Kenma. I wanted to cry. No tears fell. I wouldn't break the promise I made to Kenma. He walked over and hugged me. All I could do was sit on my knees and stare at the ground. I clenched my teeth. I didn't protect Kenma. I failed at protecting Kenma. My mom screamed as the officer held her down. "YOU TOOK AWAY THE ONLY MAN WHO LOVED ME!" she yelled. I held my breath and counted to ten, holding back my tears. Kenma held me. I wanted to die. That was the last time I called that woman my mother. My family was gone. Everyone except Kenma.

The funeral for my old man was a week later. Kenma and I stood in the graveyard. It was raining but I didn't bother to bring an umbrella. Feeling something, even rain, was better than feeling nothing. I'd almost lost Kenma because I was stupid enough to go and see my mother. Kenma had almost died and it was my fault. Kenma kissed me and promised it would be alright. We both knew it was bullshit. I felt empty, not even Kenma could fill the hole. After the funeral, we went home. I slept all day.