14

TIMESKIP-2 YEARS (KUROO'S PERSPECTIVE)

Kenma's cancer got better over the past two years; it went back down to stage one, and Kenma enrolled in an online university. He majored in video game development. I went to school in person and majored in business. Kenma's hair had grown longer than its original length, so Pudding Head became Bokuto's nickname for Kenma once more. I woke up on Friday morning and brushed kenma's hair out of his face. He was so peaceful when he was asleep. I kissed him on the lips and went into the kitchen. Tonight is our second anniversary, I thought, Tonight I am going to propose. I made breakfast and coffee. The mouth-watering scent seemed to perk Kenma up as he floated into the kitchen. We'd moved into our own apartment together about a year ago. Kenma sat down and ate quietly. I hugged him from behind and kissed him on the head.

"You have morning breath," he moaned as he pushed my face away with his hand. I sat down on my side of the table and ate my breakfast. Kenma usually was more cuddly in the morning.

"So, special day, huh?" I prompted.

"Yeah," he said, "the day you finally took the hint you rooster looking ass." Kenma took a bite of his food.

"Well, my rooster looking ass has special plans tonight," I replied. Kenma pulled his hair back into a low bun to keep it from falling into his food. It didn't work. A strand fell out and landed right into his egg. He huffed in annoyance and took the egg out of his mostly-black hair. Most of the blond had faded since the last time he dyed it. Just the ends remained golden. I thought it looked cute.

"So what are we doing tonight?" he asked.

"Nothing too special," I replied, "you can still wear sweatpants and stuff." Kenma grinned.

"Perfect." Something had changed in Kenma during the past two years. His confidence had grown. I wasn't sure what had done it, but whatever it was, I was thankful. He smiled and laughed more. Maybe it was just the thing that happened when you turned nineteen.

"So what are your plans before tonight?" I asked as I played with my food.

"I have a doctor's appointment and I'm gonna go see Shouyou's last volleyball game at Karasuno. He never gets boring, so it should be interesting. They made it to the finals in the Nationals I think."

"Don't forget to wear a mask," I reminded him. "Wait. Isn't Hinata Karasuno's ace now?"

"Yeah. He's also dating Kageyama."

"Who's that again?" I asked. It had been long since I'd last seen anyone from Karasuno except Hinata.

"Their wicked smart setter. You know, the one with the black hair? Looks like he wants to murder everyone all the time?"

"Oh that dude," I said, finally remembering him, "he's weird. I wonder why Hinata even started dating him." Kenma laughed.

"Don't say that to his face. He would probably murder you or something. Hinata would probably overhear and challenge you to a fight."

"Oh. I wouldn't want to kill the tiny shrimp." Kenma rolled his eyes at my insult. "So who is Karasuno playing?"

"Fukodurani," Kenma replied.

"I wonder if Bokuto is gonna be there."

"Probably. Akaashi too. Daichi, Suga, and all the previous members of Karasuno. Oh, Shouyou also said the Tiny Giant was gonna be there."

"Cool. Well, today I am going to-" I started.

"Kuro?" Kenma asked.

"Yes?"

"I know it's our anniversary and all, but to be honest, you are probably going to bore me to death with what you are about to say. I have to get ready for my appointment and the game, so I would rather spend my time doing that." Something was seriously wrong. Kenma never acted like this. His words hurt a little, but I could understand what he was saying. Besides, if I told him what I was doing, it would probably give part of the surprise away.

"Okay," I said as I got up from my seat. I kissed Kenma on the cheek and took his dishes to the sink. Kenma went to the other room and I did the dishes. After finishing our dishes, I went on my computer and looked up tickets to the Tokyo Tower. They were 6,000 yen each. It was expensive, but it was worth it for the anniversary. I purchased the tickets and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Kenma was already inside the bathroom brushing his. I hugged him from behind and kissed him on the neck. He almost choked on his toothpaste and pushed me aside. I brushed my teeth too. After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I turned to Kenma. "I'll pick you up at 18:00, okay?"

"Mhm..." he said as he got in the shower. Something was seriously off with him today. He seemed nervous about something.

"What's wrong, Kitten?" I asked.

"Nothing. You know I always get nervous before appointments."

"Yeah, but it seems worse. Is there something you aren't telling me?" I asked. Kenma turned his back to me whilst showering.

"No," he lied. I sighed. If his cancer had gotten worse, he was probably waiting until after tonight to tell me. I snapped.

"Okay. Be a liar for all I care," I said as I stormed off. I knew my words hurt Kenma, but I was angry. He'd been weird all morning and wasn't telling me anything. Does he want to break up with me? I wondered. The thought of that scared me. Without Kenma by my side, I was nothing. He'd been my best friend for my whole life. He was my favorite person. My person. The thought of losing him made me crazy. Who would I be if Kenma wasn't there? I thought. Without him, I was just a piece of dirt on the road. Without him, I was just a tiny rock in an asteroid field. Without him, I was just as bad as my old man. I would do anything to not turn into him. A fire boiled inside of me. To defuse the fire, I needed some time to myself. I changed into my volleyball clothes and headed to the gym downstairs. I refused to be angry at Kenma, especially on our anniversary. I just needed to clear my head. I practiced serving. After hitting the ball for the hundredth time, I cleaned up. I was dripping in sweat. I headed back to my apartment. Kenma was changing when I entered our bedroom.

"Hey, Kitten," I panted.

"Oh, hey," he said sadly, looking up at me.

"I'm sorry for getting upset earlier," I said. I felt guilt rising in me. I couldn't meet his eyes. "Whatever you are nervous or worried about, just tell me when you are ready. I don't like being angry, especially on our anniversary."

"It's fine. My appointment is soon, so I have to go, but I love you." Kenma walked over to me and kissed me softly on the cheek. He then whispered into my ear, "I think you look hot when you are flustered and sweaty. Does that make me crazy?" I felt my face get hot as I stood sweating in the bedroom next to Kenma. I kissed him on the lips.

"I'm blushing. Does that make me crazy?" I asked him. He smirked and left the room, leaving my question unanswered.