8

(KUROO'S PERSPECTIVE)

It was Monday. I got my stuff together and walked to Kenma's house. I knocked on the door and waited for Kenma. A small boy opened the door. He had a grim look on his face, and his hair was up in a small ponytail. My cheeks flushed. I'd never seen Kenma with his hair up before. He seemed to notice.

"Oh stop it. I only put it up because I feel hot today." Kenma put a mask on and hopped down the steps.

"Well, I mean you are always hot," I winked. Kenma rolled his eyes.

"Let's just go to school." I smiled and took Kenma's hand.

News spread quickly at Nekoma High. It wasn't even half a day before the whole school found out Kenma had cancer. I could tell he was annoyed. His expression got grimmer with every hand-made "Get Well Soon" card he received. I felt bad for him. The news of our relationship wasn't very big at first, but when everyone found out about Kenma's cancer, we couldn't go five minutes without someone approaching us. As selfish as it was, I was glad Kenma was the only one who got the I'm so sorries. It was worse when I was the one who was approached. I got the, How does it feel watching your boyfriend get sick? How do you deal with him? What are you gonna do if he dies? I thought if I heard those words one more time, I would slap someone. Those words were an anvil on my heart. The only thing that kept me on Earth then was Kenma's hand. His soft, warm hands. I didn't know something could make me let go. We were sitting in class. The principal had made arrangements so that I had every class with Kenma. I did my independent work in his classes. I was just there for moral support. I was also there in case he threw up. Kenma and I were sitting down together before class started. I watched Haru approach me. Kenma looked up at him.

"Yes?" I asked.

"You should've chosen me," he said with his arms crossed.

"Excuse me, what?" I demanded.

"I would be a much better boyfriend than Kenma. I'm just saying. I've got looks, I'm strong, and I don't have cancer. You wouldn't have to care for a living ghost." Kenma didn't seem to mind Haru's comment, however, I was fuming. I slammed my fist on the desk.

"Say that again. I dare you."

"He's gonna die, you know. He will have left you broken-hearted and alone. I can treat you better than him." That was it. Before I knew what I did, I had punched him in the face and stormed off. I ran to the bathroom down the hall. I cried. For the first time in a few days, I cried. I heard someone enter the bathroom. They knocked on the door of the stall I locked myself in.

"Tetsu?" the voice asked. Oh. It was Kenma. He knocked on the stall door. I opened it, letting him in. He stepped in and looked up at me. He frowned and wiped my tears "Don't cry. I don't like seeing you cry." he said.

"Okay. I promise I won't cry anymore," I said. That was the last day I ever cried.

Later in class that day, I got called to the principal's office. I already knew this would happen. Punching the swimming team's captain in the face isn't something that would go unreported. I walked into the office. The principal was sitting in her chair with a stern look on her face.

"Sit down," she said. I obliged and sat down in the red cushioned chair. It still hurt my ass. "I'm sure you know why you are here?" she assumed.

"Yeah. The asshole insulted my boyfriend so I punched him in the face." I knew she sympathized with me. How could she not? I was the boyfriend of the kid with cancer. "As nice as it was to stand up for Kozume," she said, "We still do not tolerate violence in this school. I am sure you know this." I nodded. "As a punishment, I am obliged to suspend you for two weeks. You understand that, correct?" I nodded. As reasonable as she was being, I was still fuming. I was too scared of what would come out of my mouth if I replied. "Now given the current situation, you are under a lot of pressure. Therefore, I will only suspend you until next week. You will go home now." I nodded, but I felt guilty leaving Kenma alone at school. "Kenma will go home with you. Just for today."

"Th-Thank you," I said. She called Kenma to the office and we left. Kenma called Mom. She said that we would have the house to ourselves today. We walked home. One we got inside, we finished our homework. I laid in bed next to Kenma. I watched him play Pokemon Shield for a while, stroking his hair. Then, I brushed my hands across his soft cheek. He turned his head towards me and pressed his lips against mine. While kissing, I took his Nintendo out of his hand and gently placed it on the bed. Before I knew it, I was pinning him to the bed.