tobio kageyama-admitting

for some reason, you've always found yourself so enhanced by your strange neighbor tobio kageyama. he's never been the nicest, friendliest, or relatively funniest, but he never fails to capture your attention. the way he carries himself with such authority and power... easily makes your heart flutter and cheeks burn. 

this year you are both first years attending karasuno high school. you've had a tremendous crush on the setter since middle school, and today you were going to confess to the moody boy.

after classes were out, you quickly looked for any imperfections on your face in your hand mirror before heading over the gym used by the boys.

"hey guys!" you greeted the team as you found a seat somewhere on the side.

"hey y/n!" most of them replied. you've had a pretty good friendship with daichi, since both of your parents were good friends, so you dropping by during a practice wasnt foreign to them.

after a slow two hours of homework, flying volleyballs, and contemplating leaving early before confessing to kageyama, the team was finally done practicing.

you walked over the tobio where he stood by hinata, gulping down water. "hey.. tobio?" you asked with a small blush

"yeah. what's up" he replies with a slight nod of recognition.

"i wanted to talk to you before you walk home. could you meet me outside the door when you're ready?" you ask, surprising yourself that you hadn't stuttered.

"oh.. sure." he says, eyes widening slightly at your unusual straightforwardness.

you smiled at him and waved good bye to the rest of the boys before going outside to wait for your long time crush.

soon everyone had left and was on their way home. you waited patiently wondering what had kept kageyama so long.

you walk back towards the gym, your spirits low since you've been waiting for almost 20 minutes.

'did he forget and leave?' the thought made you panic so you quickly pushed the idea out of your head before opening the gym doors.

there you feel slightly surprised to see kageyama and hinata practicing a new attack that they've been working on.

"hey kageyama?" you quietly call out to him.

"can't it wait y/n? i'm busy right now. go home." kageyama snaps back, his tone burning your heart

"oh.. i'm sorry. good night." you reply, quickly wiping the tears that had already fallen from your eyes.

you turn away hoping he didn't see, and pick up your bag. you start to walk away, but then hear what sounds like hinata yelling.

"KAGEYAMA YOU IDIOT!! DIDNT YOU SEE YOU MADE Y/N CRY?? GO OUT AND TALK TO HER THIS SECOND YOU STUPID COW!" you hear hinata's loud voice through the gym walls.

before you have time to turn and leave, the door swings open revealing a very angry looking kageyama.

"y/n what do you need. me and hinata need to get this down so can you make it quick." he speaks to you, his voice in a kinder tone than earlier when he snapped at you.

"KAGEYAMA IM NOT HITTING ANOTHER BALL UNTIL YOU BE A MAN! SHUT THIS DOOR AND GO TALK TO HER!!" hinata screams, making the both of you slightly jump.

"boke..." you hear kageyama say under his breath as he closes the door and walks towards you.

"i'm sorry for all this trouble kageyama. i just wanted you to know that you're a great person and volleyball player." you tell him, keeping your eyes cast down towards the ground.

"oh thanks. was that all?" he replies making your heart slightly sink.

'damn it y/n! i need to be more straightforward!' you tell yourself.

you look up and kageyama, your (e/c) eyes meeting his deep blue ones.

"i-i l-l-like y-you t-tob-bio." you manage to stutter out while maintaining eye contact with the tall setter.

"sorry what'd you say?" kageyama replies, slightly leaning down to hear you better.

"i said i like you kageyama!" you say a little too loudly in his face.

a few moments pass and the two of you haven't moved from your position, his face still slightly lowered towards yours. you feel the anxious thoughts start to fill your head as you as unable to read his expression.

"kageyama?" you say, your voice barely above a whisper.

he stands straight again, avoiding your eyes before looking at you with an intensity you've never seen him look at you with before.

"i like you too y/n." kageyama says, turning his face to the side to hide his rising blush.

the door bursts open, revealing a eavesdropping hinata.

"i knew it!! i knew you two liked each other!" the hyper boy yells as he jumps to the both of you.

"i'm so happy for you guys!" he yells again, before pushing kageyama closer to you.

"hug her kageyama!! cmon!" hinata says while he continues pushing kageyama closer to you.

kageyama turns to hinata," LEAVE US ALONE YOU CREEP!" he says with a blush before pushing hinata back inside the gym.

he then runs to you and grabs your hand, pulling you behind the gym, out of hinatas sight.

what he does never surprises the both of you.

kageyama places his large, slightly calloused hands, on the sides of your soft skin before gently placing his lips on yours.
the kiss is gentle and sweet, tasting lightly of milk and strawberries.
you both pull away, a deep blush covering both of your cheeks.

"i've wanted to do that for a long time y/n." kageyama says, his face still burning red.

"you make me so happy kageyama." you say as you wrap your arms around his toned body, pulling him close to you.

after heading back to the gym, facing hinatas loud voice, saying good bye, and then walking home with kageyama, you are finally at the gate of your house which is very fortunately across the street from kageyamas. you give him a tight hug before waving good night and heading inside.

milk boy is definitely my 2nd all time fav from haiykuu. this chapter is a long one, i hope you enjoyed it!