Chapter 01: Hollow and Void

ʜᴏʟʟᴏᴡ ᴀɴᴅ ᴠᴏɪᴅ

ʜᴇʟᴇɴ's ᴘᴏᴠ
୧‿︵‿︵  ✾  ︵‿︵‿୨

𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 like sinking into the thin line of darkness? The relentless feeling of losing yourself in it? Yet still falling deep into the darkness, allowing it to entirely consume you?

It's a feeling, so empty and emotionless that makes you suffocated to the very point of choosing death over life, but I refuse to die so easily.

People often say that light overpowers darkness when truly it's the opposite. Darkness can force its way into the light and consume it until it's pitch black and take over light for eternity.

People are lost in the light, pretending and faking but find themselves in the darkness. The true self, the ugly and disgusting parts of themselves that they hide in the light.

I gaze into my dull blue eyes in front of the mirror in the changing room. They had become brute, cold, and empty. Dark, just like my soul. Lifting my hoodie, I dropped my gaze at the nasty bruises.

Cuts, burns, and bruises. The faint image of my mother and her boyfriend beating me flashed before my eyes. It repeats. The never-ending beatings I had to take reminded me that they would never change.

It's been years since I forced my sister to escape from this ruthless life she didn't realize she was in. I wonder how she's doing. I wonder if she's happy and well.

No, don't think about her. I remind myself. The more I think of her, the more desperate the longing to see her becomes, and I cannot let that happen. I wasn't supposed to.

"Tonight, Ash is competing against–oh he is competing against Hercules!" The announcer stuttered. The people in the crowd hollered in surprise at the mention of my stage name. Excited and frightened looks were thrown at me as made my way to the Ring.

I was always known for my sudden entries. In the underground world, I'm one of the most feared and respected fighters. People define me as the crazy one with a high temper. 

My identity was hidden by a dark mask that covered my face. No one knows who I am, and I prefer to keep it that way for a long time. Not like they can do anything to me if they come to know my real identity. That would just scare them even more.

"Since you both know the rules, let the fight begin. One, two, and three, start!" The announcer shouts enthusiastically. My opponent, Ash, threw his fist at me, It was evident that he was nervous and unprofessional. I dodged the punch and threw a left hook, jabbing him in the ribs. He hissed, cursing at me. He went for a fast fist in my stomach.

"Hey, you're face looks a bit uneven." I insulted him, charging at him. He was too boring to fight with. I bent his arm behind his back, kicking him in the ribs. The sound of his bones breaking was heard and he started screaming in pain. Then I knocked him out cold. The crowd cheered for me.

I collected my prize money, making my way out. My ears caught a few words people were whispering. "She looks completely calm and scary. I would call her the definition of darkness." Indeed, hollow and void.

I hopped on my bike, putting my helmet on. Discreetly glancing around my surroundings, I started my motorcycle. My eyes caught the suspicious motorcycle that was right behind me. I sigh, not again.

I sped up, and the person behind me sped up as well, trying to catch up to me. I roared my motorcycle and went at full speed, leading him to an empty road. I slowed down, pulling the break. I sat on my bike as he finally caught up to me. He stopped and got off his motorcycle, a gun in his hand.