Chapter 02: Insignificant

ɪɴsɪɢɴɪғɪᴄᴀɴᴛ

ʜᴇʟᴇɴ's ᴘᴏᴠ
୧‿︵‿︵  ✾  ︵‿︵‿୨

Emptiness. It's all I could feel. Why does life have to be so complicated? Why are people so cruel? If my brothers didn't abandon me, will my life be different?

I sigh, knowing that nobody has the intention to give me the answers.

Today, it is an understatement to say I'm in a pretty bad mood. Sarah and Smith beat me up after I woke up gain that I could feel my sore muscles. Yet, they make sure not to leave a single cut on my face. Typical.

"Ms. Smith, would you like to answer this question?" Right this instant, I am in hell. Oh, I mean school. Technically, I am correct.

I leaned into my seat and glared at Mr. Neil. He hesitates for a bit and quickly asks someone else. I glimpsed fear in his eyes for a moment. Students and teachers always keep their distance from me. They're afraid of me. Scared I might end up hurting them after losing control.

In my junior year, this senior guy kept bothering me and touching me, I beat him up so bad he had to use crutches for months. I also beat up a gym teacher and set fire to the school canteen cause seriously, the food there was total crap.

I always put on a strict and fierce facade, hiding the broken little girl inside me. I'll never let anyone see that side of me. Instead, they'll see my other side created by monsters that haunted me and made me into a heartless, bitter, and shallow shell.

Mr. Neil calls out my name and said the principal wanted to see me in a small voice. Raising an eyebrow, I idly walked to the principal's office, trying to remember if I got into trouble this week. As long as I don't get detention, that's fine by me. If I come home late today, they'll beat me up again.

Not bothering to knock, I open the principal's office door with force, and he flinches at the impact. The corner of my lips curls up. I stride towards his desk and took a seat before I was told, pressing my back against the chair nonchalantly.

Someone was behind me. He was walking towards me. From the corner of my eyes, I saw a tall figure sitting next to me. Not bothering to even look at him, I stayed emotionless as usual. However, the stranger's intense gaze on me was unnerving while the principal kept quiet.

Sighing in frustration, I loudly slammed my fists against the desk. "Talk." The principal flinches again and inhales. There was a different kind of fear in his eyes this time. He glances at the stranger sitting beside me.

"Ms. Smith, your father, and mother were murdered today. The police found out a few hours ago. They informed us immediately." The principal's voice hit me like a truck and my pulse fastened. The stranger sitting beside me muttered something under his breath, but I couldn't catch the words.

The same feeling of emptiness crawled inside me and made me whole as I tried to process the information. Then reality hit me. She is finally dead. I am free from her. I would no longer have to endure her harsh words and beating, but who would dare to murder her that easily?

My voice was rough as I questioned, "Who killed them?"

"It is unidentified as of now."

I shook my head, still unable to accept the fact she was dead. She has survived for a long time, and so have I.

I'm going to outlive her, and she's going to haunt me until I die. Her every word, every beating, every bruise on my body, and her every action will haunt me. She is my mother and the nightmare I can't escape, even if she escaped life by death. However, I refuse to be broken by the nightmare that I despise.