Chapter 17: Son of the Russian Mafia's

sᴏɴ ғ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴜssɪᴀɴ ᴍᴀғɪᴀ's

ʜᴇʟᴇɴ's ᴘᴏᴠ
︵    ︵

"𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄?" 𝐌𝐘 eyes widen. I scoot away from him, my body is tensed and defensive, too aware of him. "How is that possible? You were murdered. Your whole family was." My voice was laced with uncertainty. How is that possible?

The Valente family was our greatest enemy and the cruelest mafia that couldn't be controlled. They took what they wanted, no matter how much blood they had to shed or what it cost. They always topped the Mafia world until our family took over. The Russian mafia was merciless, nobody could outrun when Valente ran the whole organization. However, Valente got exiled for some reason and his half-brother, Preston Levi is the person who took over and he is currently running the Mafia. It's very complicated, and I didn't do much research on the Valente family. 

All I'm aware of is that after Valente, Ace's father got exiled, their whole family was murdered.

Ace's eyes shift to me. The softness in his eyes was replaced with distaste and loathe. His lips parted, "I'm in flesh in front of you, Precious." He raised an eyebrow. My heart pounds faster when he calls me precious. His lips curled into a smirk. "I was never killed."

Silence fills the room for a hot minute before I open my mouth. I glare at him, "You are the son of the Russian Mafia's prior boss who was exiled. How am I supposed to believe you?"

Amusement sparkled in his dark eyes at my words. "Does it matter? Of course, I am the son of that bastard, but I survived."

A chuckle escapes my lips. I know better than to trust those who survive. I know that length I had to cross just to survive, and trust me, it is not a pretty sight. "It does matter. I cannot trust you. You're related to our most notorious enemy, and hell if I'd allow you to harm my family." I continue, "You're simply just not trustworthy." I say.

Ace watches me, rather calmly. A sinful smile on his lips as he tilts his neck. His collarbone is visible through the cotton shirt he wore, and I gulp, toring my gaze from his neck. His smile widens. "You do realize that it is your father and grandfather who brought me here? I work for them. It doesn't matter if you think I'm not worthy of your trust. You'll eventually get there." His words held a promise in them, and I glared at him. I hate the way my heart burns for him.

"How come are you alive then? I thought your whole family died in a fire after your father was exiled and killed in front of every Mafia." His eyes darken at my question. He lifts his hand, slowly tapping his finger on my palm. He drew circles, but I could tell he didn't want to answer my question.

"I'll tell you about that another time, precious." He lifts his lashes, dark eyes meeting my curious ones. He presses his lips together before he says, "I know you have lots of questions, but I can't answer it all for you right now, but when the right time comes, I'll tell you everything." He straightens his hand and presses his big hand against mine. My hand looks so tiny in his.

"Because you deserve the truth." Our hands entwine. "I promise." He says, his grip on my hand firm and gentle. My heart is in really bad condition right now.

"I'm fine with that, but what does this mean?" I stare at our entwined hands on his lap. His thumb caresses my hand. An amused chuckle escapes his lips. "What does it look like, precious?"