Introduction

Preston's POV

My arm is easily and gently slung around Sara's shoulders as we exit the theater. The chilly air makes the hairs on my skin rise, but it's nothing I can't handle.

It's 34º out and all I'm wearing is a thin long sleeved shirt. In the theater, I had thrown my light jacket over Sara, and also provided a nice warm arm aver her shoulder.

Though it's not like I wouldn't have my arm over her shoulder anyways. She is my girlfriend.

The parking lot is surprisingly packed for 11pm. People flooded out of the building and into their vehicles, the scene lighting up as headlights were activated. I was thoroughly surprised when that many people came to watch a chick flick movie. Including myself. Sara and her persuasion...

We finally reached our red Prius car and I broke apart from Sara to let her get into her seat. I open the driver's door and flop onto the leather seat, adjusting the rearview mirror.

"Checking yourself out, Preston?" Sara says with a smirk on her face.

"Yes, gotta make sure the cactus is looking fine." I say in a cheesy accent, causing her to smile even more.

"This is why I love you." She whispers and reaches over to kiss my cheek. Before she does, I turn my head and kiss her on the lips. After the peck, she leans back and tries to hide her beautiful smile.

I laugh out loud and pull the car into reverse, leaving the lot and heading onto the almost deserted street. The surrounding commercial buildings still beam with light at this time of night, so I had no trouble navigating these Texas streets. See, Sara's movie genre taste may not be the best, she is exceptional at finding movie times.

Because I'm going to be on the Minecraft grind when I get home, anyway. But 'girlfriend' before 'YouTube'.

I shoot a sideways glance at her, and she is staring out her window, with a more happier expression than normal. The light shines onto her gorgeous face and brown hair, and I could miraculously see her light blue eyes in the brightness.

God, I love her so much.

While attempting to keep my eyes on the road, I check the digital clock inside my car. 11:08pm. Since part of my attention is already directed to the device, I turn up the dimmed music. It almost sounded like Christmas song, before I realized that it was January 9th. The song was barely recognizable to me, and I could tell it was a mix, but Sara was already singing along.

"We know full well there's just time,

"So it's wrong to toss this line,

"If your heart was full of love,

"Could you give it up?

"Cause what about, what about angels?

"They will come,

"They will go,

"Make us special,

"Don't give me up,

"Don't give...

"...me up,"

I begin to hum along, since I know the basic tune. When I look over, Sara has the world's widest grin on her face.

"How unfair, it's just our love,

"Found something real that's out of touch,

"But if you searched the whole wide world,

"Would you dare let it go?

"Cause what about, what about angels?

"They will come,

"They will go,

"Make us special,"

We were coming up to the busier intersection. But as far as I could see from where we were, there weren't many cars. She looks over at me and I smile with my eyes still on the road.

"It's not about a--"

"PRESTON-!"

She never finished because of the sound of breaking glass and metal, and the black truck that rammed into the driver's side of my car.

--

Continue in Chapter 1...