Chapter-5

My uncles were in the dining room, having their breakfast when I reached downstairs. The detectives weren't there.

Well, I didn't care about Mr. Xaviers anyways, but where was Jonas? He said he'll help me...

Could he be waiting outside?

There was no one near the front door. The way was clear. I seized the opportunity and sneaked towards the ajar door when Aunt Nora suddenly called out my name from the back.

Crap, I didn't notice that she was there.

"Where are you going dear?"

I turned around to find all the eyes in the room staring at me directly; I had already drawn their attention. Both my aunts and uncles were in the hall room now.

"Actually I was feeling a bit down lately, so I thought of visiting my best friend's house for a day or two," I lied without looking at anyone.

"Amy, you know that the situation is not very fine now," I heard Uncle Josh's voice say. "Sierra was attacked yesterday. I don't think it's safe to let you go outside the house now. I'm pretty sure Brother Arnold wouldn't have let you go either if he was here."

"I'm sorry if I'm rude-" I stuttered while saying it, "-but at least no one would be mixing cyanide in my food at my friend's place."

I intended to scream those words out, but they only came as a whisper, probably because I had always grown up respecting my uncles.

That statement managed to give out a considerable amount of shockwave that hit everyone on their faces; I could say that from their extra broadened eyes.

"Cyanide?" Aunt Nora questioned in puzzlement.

"I didn't tell you all how Bruno got into such a serious condition yesterday," I continued. "It was because he licked the milk that had been sent to my room yesterday morning. The reports from the Veterinary hospital said that the milk contained cyanide."

"Are you sure Amy?" Aunt Lucy asked in dread. "How can that be..."

"The attack that happened on Sierra last night was also originally meant for me since it was my room," I added in a broken voice.

"Amy, you're no less than our own daughter," Uncle Nick spoke. "I can understand your insecurities. We all are going through a difficult time now. But don't you think we all should stay together right now, and protect each other?"

I didn't answer. Staying together with them was the problem itself.

Wait, why wasn't Uncle Nick shocked at the news about the cyanide attack?

"You can go to your friend's house a week later dear," Aunt Lucy advised, placing a hand on my shoulder.

Aunt Nora also came forward to give me a side hug.

"Let's go to your room, I'll feed you breakfast."

I wanted to just leave through the open front door, but I didn't dare to misbehave with my family members like that. No matter what, I had grown up in their shadow ever since I was born after all.

I remained silent as both my aunts escorted me back to my room.

"You two don't understand, I'll be killed..." I murmured for one last time.

"Shush Amy, nothing will happen. We all are with you," Aunt Nora tried to reassure, but it did little good.

"Get some sleep dear. You seem like you haven't slept last night, and probably that's why you're having such odd thoughts," Aunt Lucy suggested, examining my eyebags.

"Should I bring you breakfast?" Aunt Nora asked.

"I guess I'll just get some sleep."

I needed to make that excuse for not having any more food from this house.

Bruno came hopping towards his dear master as my aunts were about to close the door. Dogs are so loyal, so unlike humans.

The four walls of my own room felt suffocating to me. I just wanted to get out of this confinement so badly. I didn't realize when I fell asleep while sobbing against my pillow. My sleep was hampered quite a couple of times when the door creaked open with my aunts or Sebastian bringing in food, but I just pretended to remain asleep. My stomach was growling with hunger, but I couldn't trust anyone now.

At night, Sierra came along with Hannah and Hazel. Sierra gave me a tight hug and assured me that she would support me in whatever decision I decided to take.

Hannah and Hazel wiped the tears from my eyes with their little hands and embraced me after Sierra parted.

"We love you, sissy, please don't cry," they said in unison like always.

That made me feel so much better.

I wrapped three of them together in a warm hug as we whispered, "Sisters forever."

"Sierra, didn't the detectives come today?" I inquired, wondering where Jonas was.

"Papa restricted them from coming to our house anymore," Sierra answered. "He said that he doesn't need detectives who can't prevent an attack on his daughter."

They won't be coming here anymore?

I didn't know how to react to that. Jonas couldn't keep his words...

"Maybe he'll ask them to come back after a day or two," she continued. "Papa just loses his temper when it comes to me."

"I can understand."

We talked for an hour more, and then Sierra left the room with Hannah and Hazel after wishing me a good night.

I dozed off for about four hours before waking up again. My sleep seemed to have sworn enmity with me as well. I lay in my bed watching the clock as its small hand passed through 3, and 4, and then 5.

The sun had already marked its arrival, replacing the moon, by spreading its wide bright buoyant beams which managed to make their way through the maze of cotton candy clouds. All too suddenly, something (or someone would be the better term) blocked the bittersweet view I had been observing.

It was the silhouette of a person.

I gulped as fear crept into my soul. Millions of thoughts swirled through my mind all at once. I got up from my bed and hung on to Bruno tightly, who was awake as well. What next?

I prepared myself mentally for the new danger as the silhouette came into view, revealing its face. Wait what did just happen-

It was Jonas.

Please don't forget to vote, comment, and share if you enjoyed reading this chapter!

- Love,
Your dear author <3