Chapter-40

"June, help me please," I requested in a whisper, poking him by the leg.

Jonas tilted his laptop screen a bit to let me steal a glance of the code secretly.

"No cheating!" Kelvin commanded, turning back June's laptop to its former position.

Realizing that I indeed had no option left to cheat now, I tried to wrap my head around my code for the next few minutes but eventually failed to come up with a solution to fix the build errors.

"Time's up," Kelvin announced, preparing to check June's work first.

"Why-" Kelvin spoke in full teacher mode, "-doesn't your code run, Jonas?"

"Impossible!" Jonas exclaimed. "It's a full-proof code, no chance of error."

Kelvin examined the code for a minute before expressing his disappointment with a sigh.

"You have initiated the Boolean as False, so basically your code doesn't even start," he explained.

"It's just...one tiiii-nyyy bit of blunder," Jonas said with his teeth on display.

"What about you, Amyra?" Kelvin asked, ignoring June's regular excuses.

"It's-" I began searching one for myself.

"Too hard for me," I blurted out at last, not finding any.

"I can explain it!" Jonas offered enthusiastically.

He explained the code to me proudly while Kelvin supervised his teaching.

"Now can I leave, Xav Bro?" Jonas entreated after I had finally comprehended the code.

"Go where?" Kelvin questioned.

"A new video game is waiting for me," Jonas grinned.

"Do a sum first, after that," Kelvin prescribed, handing both of us a blank sheet of paper.

Kelvin had become my private tutor now; I was glad that he had taken the initiative to prepare me for my university examinations since I was running out of time. Jonas gave me company in being a student, although he sometimes carried out the part of teaching too, like just a while back.

Kelvin jotted down the question on another piece of paper and placed it on the table between Jonas and me.

"You have two minutes," he stated, setting the timer on his phone.

As you would naturally expect, he was even stricter than my teachers when it came to teaching.

It was a combinatorics problem, involving a lot of mental math. Well, I won't deny that I had mastered mental maths by a great deal in the past few days, thanks to Kelvin's persistent pressure.

I scribbled the rough calculations on my paper in bullet speed as the timer ticked in the background, warning me about the last ten seconds left.

"Three, two, one," Kelvin made the countdown. "Back off from your scripts now."

He took the scripts and began checking June's one first.

"Perfect, right?" Jonas beamed.

"Yea," Kelvin replied.

"Because I made you do the same math last year," he added.

"Love you Xav Bro," Jonas quipped with a grin as he hopped out of the room.

"Can I go too?" I muttered.

Bruno produced a woof from a corner of the room.

"See, even your dog believes that you can't go," Kelvin ridiculed.