Chapter-14

That night was full of nightmares too; if anything, they were worse than before. The case was slaying me from deep inside. Xaviers did not speak a word to me since the last day, let alone answering my questions. I was sleep-deprived, so I fell asleep again in the morning after having breakfast. The next time I woke up was not because of any nightmare, or the mischievous sun poking me to hamper my sleep, or Bruno's barks; it was due to a noise that came from the other side of the door. I hurriedly put on my slippers and made my way out of the room to detect the source of the sound.

It was the crack of plates. Jonas was sitting on the treadmill, his face covered by his hands. The plates strewn on the floor were his work. He seemed utterly dejected.

"June, what happened-"

"His girlfriend dumped him," Xaviers answered nonchalantly, coming out from June's room while taking sips from his coffee mug.

I recalled Jonas going out in the morning to meet Alyssa. For some reason, more than feeling sympathetic towards Jonas, I was experiencing fury towards Xaviers.

"And you are telling that so calmly?" I demanded in a fuming tone.

Xaviers just shrugged his shoulders and took another sip of his coffee. I lost my temper and rushed towards him, seizing his coffee mug.

"Will-you-stop-sipping-on-that-coffee!" I yapped. "Your brother is crying."

"Well, I had already warned him about that girl having three affairs at once."

I glimpsed at Jonas expecting an answer, but he was quiet.

"And this is the third time in a row, like when are you going to stop running after temporary people?" Xaviers asked from the back.

"Oh please Xav Bro, you know that I can't spend a boring life like you," Jonas spoke for the first time.

"At least I don't live a life with false expectations and get my heart broken every other day," Xaviers made his comeback.

"As if anyone would ever date a rude guy like you," I commented with an eye roll, making sure he noticed it.

I wonder if he ever had a girlfriend.

Well, who was I kidding?

"Wait wait wait," he retorted.

"Firstly, my personal life is none of your business. And secondly, you're acting as if you had a lot of loyal boyfriends or something."

"Me?" I took a bit of time to think about what to say.

"Oh yes I did, if you didn't know," I faked.

"I see," he replied, crossing his arms. "How many exactly?"

"Wait, I've to count," I continued playing along.

"One, two, three..." I tried to find a good number.

"Three-I had three," I stated at last.

"Oh, did you?" he asked, clearly with the intention of not believing me.

Did I say a bit too much that he doesn't believe me?

"Um, actually I guess it was two," I changed my statement.

"Was it?" he continued while pretending to take sips from his coffee mug so that I don't see him chuckling.

I could bet that the coffee mug was empty.

"Okay let's just be honest...I'm a one-man woman, so I only had one."

"You know what the good thing about being a detective is? You just know when someone tries to lie," he grinned.