Chapter-27

I returned to the living space a few minutes later to find a plate of spaghetti with meat gravy topping served on the dining table. A clinking noise from the kitchen notified me that Kelvin was there. He was fossicking about the cabinets for something when I went to look for him.

"Mrs. Arabella didn't know that you were coming, so she sent only one plate of lunch. I'm trying to find another plate, it should be somewhere here-" Kelvin elucidated while continuing his search.

"Not a problem, we can share," I replied, grabbing two forks from the cabinet.

Kelvin's eyebrows shot up in surprise at my unexpected offer as I noticed a slight smile curving across his face.

"What?" I questioned.

"Nothing at all," he said, shrugging his shoulders.

We had to sit quite close so that we could share the plate of spaghetti. Even though the food looked appetizing, I didn't have any appetite at that moment.

"What happened there?" he asked calmly.

He wasn't eating as well.

"I met my mom after a decade, got to know some unknown bitter truths about my parents, June turned out to be my stepbrother, and then I left from there."

I tried to reply in a casual tone but that didn't work out. I was biting my lips to stop my tears by the time I finished my sentence.

"Amyra-"

He stretched his hand forward to place it on my arm, but suddenly paused and took it back for some reason.

I wish he didn't take it back.

"Forgive your mom," he whispered.

"I understand it might take time to accept the whole thing, but trust me, you'll regret it if you don't return back to her."

He was right. I knew I would regret it. I took a deep breath and nodded.

"At least life's giving you a chance, not everyone is lucky enough, you know."

His voice was stiff as he said it, but he was avoiding eye contact with me, probably afraid that I might sense the hidden sentiments behind it...which I did.

It probably reminded him of his parents.

I subconsciously placed my hand on top of his, as if trying to assure him that he wasn't alone. At this, he looked at me, and our eyes met.

Eyes spoke so much more than words ever did.

He couldn't control his emotions anymore; I noticed a lone tear falling from his green eyes. Seconds passed, but none of us blinked. When I was sure that more droplets were about to fall, he jerked his head away, pressing his face against his shirt sleeves so that I wouldn't see those tears.

I moved my hand away, not wanting to make him feel uncomfortable.

"Let's eat," I mumbled, changing the topic.

I tangled up the spaghetti around my fork, and for some unknown instinct, held it up in front of his mouth. He stared at me for a moment, and I stared back, in silence. Not getting any response, I was about to put the fork down when he finally tucked into the spaghetti from my spoon.

"You can take my fork since I already used yours," he offered after gulping down the food in his mouth.

I took his fork, tangled up the spaghetti around it, gobbled it up, and returned the spoon to him.

"Now I used yours too, so we're equal," I chuckled.

He gazed at me for a moment, and then looked down with an expression that reflected he was biting his tongue to suppress his reaction.