Chapter 3: Roses Are Dead

Happy valentine's day, beautiful!"

West held a rose in his hand, looking like he had stepped off the newest season of The Bachelor. All he needed was a pressed suit and a camera crew to complete the look. He ran a hand through his tousled sandy brown hair as he flashed Luce a million-dollar smile. Dozens of students passed by him in the hallways filled with paper hearts and red heart-shaped balloons. Fairwood High had gone above and beyond to make sure people knew that love was literally in the air.

My best friend Luce jumped up and down, her ash-blonde hair hitting her cheeks as she threw her arms around West's neck to hug him and accept his rose. West picked her up as if she weighed nothing, swinging her slightly and then setting her down. West was huge, but he acted like a little kid, which I guess he was at heart.

"Why can't there be a singles day?" Taylor groaned, watching them with half disgust and half yearning. "Love sucks." Taylor was the epitome of a queen who didn't need a man to thrive; the only problem was that she was tired of her own will to avoid men at all costs.

She shut her locker door for emphasis, crossing her arms across her black crop top. If things went Taylor's way, she'd take down Valentine's Day as a national holiday forever.

"Singles Day is every day for you," West told her, laughing as she held up her middle finger.

"Sup Grey, Coop," West added, giving us a quick head-nod in greeting.

"Hi, West." I smiled as I shut my locker.

"You're coming to my party, right?" he said, poking me on the shoulder. "Bring Justin. He bailed on practice this morning. I was looking forward to beating his ass on the field."

My smile wavered, remembering how last night had ended. Our romantic night had turned into a complete shit-show. Justin didn't get why I would want anything to do with Natasha. Rightfully so — he always said life was better before she stepped foot in our lives.

I wasn't a saint. I had spent countless hours wishing Natasha would disappear from my life, disappear forever.

I just never thought it would become true.

"Earth to Haven," West said, tapping on my forehead. "Don't tell me you're thinking about canceling on the most epic party of the season."

"You know I wouldn't miss one of your parties," I said, pushing thoughts of Natasha to the back of my mind. "I'll be there with champagne. Only the finest for my favorite party planner."

He grinned, clapping his hands together. "That's what I'm talking about. See, Haven gets it. You all have the code down, right?"

"You don't have to say code every time you talk about the color scheme," Cooper said. "It sounds like we're secret agents, dude."

West ignored him, running a hand through his hair, eyes glittering with anticipation. "Wear red if you're in a relationship, white if you want to stay single, and pink if you're open to anything... including a hookup." He raised his eyebrows. "Holy shit, this is the first year I'm not wearing pink in like two years. Although, I think I'll be good in the action department." He winked at Luce.

"Gross. Kill me now," Taylor muttered, pretending to gag. "Valentine's Day is an overrated holiday. Do you know what holiday lives up to its hype? Halloween."

"I don't know, Tay. Blood and gore aren't my things. Plus, you pretend to be somebody else," Luce said, dabbing her signature Dolce & Gabbana rose perfume on her wrists.

"Exactly," Taylor said. "That's the best part. You can be anyone in the fuckin' world. And hey, Halloween is romantic too. I'd date Michael Myers over any guy at this school."