Chapter 40: Can't Go On Without You

"Social media sensation Killer Cupid has taken the town of Fairwood by storm ever since the death of former Fairwood High student, Natasha Ryan, at a Valentine's Day party gone wrong. Carissa Parker, a local teen girl and fellow student at Fairwood High, created the alias, showing how deadly revenge can get. Additional sources say this student also was involved in the murder of Dean Ryland..."

I pressed the power button on the remote, watching the news reporter's face disappear as the television shut off. A cup of hot chocolate my mom made sat on the edge of the coffee table, but it was getting cold from being untouched.

I was okay.

That was what the doctors said, at least. Aside from the ugly bruise around my cheekbone and the dull pain soaring through my ankle, I was physically okay.

Beneath the surface level, I wasn't okay. How could I be? This entire time I had been searching for answers, not understanding that sometimes answers weren't enough. Even with the truth out, I realized Killer Cupid had taken away things I would never get back, people I loved.

Less than 24 hours ago, Killer Cupid could've taken my life, too.

All the mysterious guides to murder, dead roses, haunted anonymous texts, and leaked secrets, feeling like someone was watching my every move — this entire time, everything; all the sick twisted games; was because of Cari's desire for revenge.

Flickers of last night returned to me. Flashing blue and red lights, police officers that were becoming too familiar. Blurred frenzy, arms grabbing me — Cari's lifeless icy gaze fixated on mine.

The bits and pieces I didn't know, others filled me in on.

Willow had seen me running out of the auditorium. Griffin had wondered where I was after I hadn't returned and ran into Willow, who told him what she had seen. The two of them came to find me.

I didn't want to think what would've happened if they hadn't come in time.

In a way, we were all affected — all the suspects, all the innocent bystanders.

By now, Mrs. Ryan had to have known. I wondered what was running through her mind, knowing she knew the truth at the expense of her pain.

Justin's bail was posted — he no longer had to sit through a trial, worrying about his life on the line. There were still rumors circulating from a few people in town who looked at him like they feared him. His pride, the one thing that mattered to him in the beginning, shattered. It would take a while to restore.

Then there was the rest of us, trying to find out where we stood — how to move on.

I didn't know when things would go back to normal.

My phone vibrated with unanswered texts, and I glanced down at the screen to see my friends' messages.

Taylor's if she ever gets out of jail, I'm beating her ass text, Luce's babe are you okay? Do you need anything text and West's voicemail checking on me because he hated texting.

My mom sat beside me on the sofa, giving me a sympathetic look. "Are you okay?"

"Yes and no," I said. "At that moment, when Cari cornered me..." I trailed off. "I was thinking about Natasha. How she could've still been here."

"I know," Mom breathed, letting me lay my head on her lap. In times like this, I felt young again, and I knew I was so lucky to have her. "She's still here with you, honey. When you love someone, you always keep a part of them with you. They never leave you, not truly."

"Is Mrs. Ryan okay?" I said, leaning up to look at her. "Did you talk to her?"

"Diane is getting through it," she said. "I'm going to see her again this weekend, but I think part of her feels better that at least Natasha could get justice." A small smile spread across her face. "She's a strong woman."

I nodded, pulling my legs closer to myself. That she was.

"We have something for you," my dad's voice drifted into the room as he walked in with Dev. He held up something for me, and I laughed when I saw it was a sock puppet. He attempted to make it talk, failing miserably.

"Hey, Haven! You are the best daughter ever!" He made his voice high-pitched.

"Nic, what is our teenage daughter going to do with that?" My mom said, shaking her head.

"It said it was for kids ages 7 to 19," my dad said defensively.

I giggled at his wounded tone. "I love it."

The doorbell rang, and my mom went to answer it. Dev walked over to me, plopping down into the space beside me.

"I'm really glad you're not like, dead. I kinda like having you around." He reached over to mess up my hair and I ducked just in time.

"So heartfelt." I laughed.

"Have." I looked up to see my mom had returned, a smile at the corner of her lips. "Someone's here for you."

As I got up to pass her, she said, "That's a special boy you got there."

When I went to the door, I saw Griffin standing there in his gray hoodie. He shuffled slightly, and when I approached, he looked up at me, his electric blue eyes so hopeful it made my heart flutter.

Griffin came forward, wrapping me in his arms. His hold was tight and warm, and I leaned my head against him.

"How are you feeling?" he asked. His voice was husky, and he ran a hand through my hair.

"Not worse than your last visit yesterday," I teased him, but it came out muffled against his chest. He would've stayed overnight too, but my mom had been very clear about how she felt about that idea.

We stayed like that for a bit, and then I felt him pull away.

"I'm sorry, Haven," he said. His voice was thick with emotion and guilt, and he wouldn't quite look me in the eye.

"Why?" I said, furrowing my eyebrows.

"If you had told me, I would've come with you." He shook his head. "I should've just come, anyway. When Willow told me you followed Cari, I knew something was wrong. I swear I wouldn't have forgiven myself if she hurt you — I mean, if something happened to you, I don't know what I'd do because you're really important to me —"

As he continued rambling, only one thing was on my mind.

I loved this boy.

I stopped him with a kiss. As soon as his lips were on mine, any thoughts of pain were gone. His fingers treaded underneath my chin, deepening the kiss. He placed his other hand on my waist, pulling me closer.

"Grey," he said, his voice getting hoarse. "I'm serious. I can't have anything happen to you." The way his deep ocean eyes searched my own made my skin grow hot.

I wanted to tell him I wasn't going anywhere. "Hey," I whispered, reaching up to touch his face.

There was a loud knock on the window, and I turned around to see Dev waving through the window.

"Make sure you leave enough room for Jesus!" He said, signaling to our proximity.

I rolled my eyes, flipping him off as the curtains fell back together. "My brother is annoying."

"He loves you." Griffin laughed. "We all do."

"Are you saying you love me?" I said, looking up at him. I had meant to sound teasing, but I felt my heart racing when I said the words, and even more when he looked at me.

I thought he would make a joke, but he didn't. Instead, he pulled me closer, his dark gaze trained on mine. And then he said the words that I'd probably replay for hours and hours in my mind until I had worn them out.

"If only you knew how much, Grey."

A/N

This is it.

The final chapter- tomorrow.

You guys started this journey with me... can't wait until we finish it together. <3