Chapter 37: Cupid's A Killer

It looked like I was running away from a wedding.

But in reality, there was a reason I was in the driver's seat of my car, dressed in this satin red ball gown that hugged my body and had a slit running up its leg, driving like I was on a mission. My heels were off as I drove, perched on the floor of the passenger seat next to my purse. To an outsider, I probably looked crazy.

Hot, but crazy.

And I was on a mission.

I could imagine Griffin's reaction when he saw me, especially knowing he loved me in red. As much as he had insisted on a sneak peek, I had somehow made him wait until today. And in less than an hour, he would see me — I just had to do something first.

My eyes landed on West's aunt's store as I neared. The flickering lights of the fluorescent open sign were noticeable from here, and I scanned the parking lot for a space before turning my keys.

I hadn't been there in a while — and remembering how we had gotten the ice sculpture turned murder weapon from that store had given me more than enough reason to avoid returning. Still, there was a special reason for my visit today.

In the front, as soon as I entered, I saw what I was looking for. An array of flower bouquets of every color decorated the table. I smiled when I saw the particular bouquet I wanted, scooping up the yellow flowers in one hand and pulling out my wallet with the other.

Sunflowers, just like the ones Griffin had given to me before everything.

Years ago, he had told me about the sunflower field he used to go to with his mother, and how it was one of his most precious memories. I knew how much he missed her, even though he didn't always talk about it. From the stories he told me about her, she would've loved seeing him for prom. And even though she couldn't be with him, I wanted him to have a piece of her today.

I pulled out cash from my wallet before heading to the front, spotting West's aunt behind the cash register.

She handed her customer the receipt and then glanced over at me, a smile of recognition lighting her face.

"Haven, how are you? You look absolutely beautiful!"

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Emerson. I'm not sure if West told you, but our prom is today. I just wanted to buy some flowers."

"For a special boy?" she said, her eyes twinkling.

I felt a slight blush spread on my cheeks as I nodded. More than special.

"And that boy never tells me anything," she said, rolling her eyes. "I'm glad I caught you here. West never called me to tell me how all the decorations were for the party, either," Mrs. Emerson continued. "You know, the cupid ice sculpture is one of our store's most special products. I hope you all enjoyed it?"

I realized Mrs. Emerson wasn't aware of what had happened at the party. She didn't know that the cupid had turned into a murder weapon, and the party had unraveled into something terrible altogether.

"It was lovely," I said, hoping I looked more sincere than I sounded.

She smiled, looking satisfied. "Thank goodness," she said. "I had to pull some strings for that delivery. Carissa told me she delivered it properly, but there was a mixup in the inventory earlier, so I'm glad everything went well."

I gave her a small smile, waiting for her to ring up the flowers, when a strange sensation welled inside of me.

"Carissa?"

She nodded, and then a look of recognition came to her face. "Oh right! She's one of your classmates. She works here on the weekends. You may know her. Carissa Parker?"

Carissa Parker.

Cari.

"Here?" I said, my mouth growing dry as I tried to ignore the feeling of my heart thudding. "She came to West's party?"

Mrs. Emerson nodded, looking at me, slightly confused. "For the delivery — Is everything okay, honey?"

Cari wasn't on the guest list. She was never supposed to be at the party.

Why hadn't she mentioned that?

"Do you remember what time?" My mouth felt dry.

Mrs. Emerson's eyebrows furrowed. "No, dear. That was months ago. But I remember her almost missing the delivery because she was late that day, coming from Eastwood."

Eastwood.

That was where Natasha's summer home was — the place she had gone to when she was missing.

I thought about Cari's pale face at the showcase when the news had come out.

The way she had blamed all of us at Natasha's vigil, screaming that it should've been us.

Cari's words came tumbling to me.

Don't you think some things are better left in the past?

Instead of focusing on who actually killed her, why don't you look at who broke her while she was alive?

I had considered everyone at the party.

I had never considered that the suspect could be someone who was never a guest at all.

Cari wouldn't hurt her best friend — would she?

Mrs. Emerson handed me the receipt and a few coins as change. "Come over for dinner sometime, Haven." Mrs. Emerson had barely finished her sentence before I was running, bouquet in hand. A few of the flowers got crushed, and as the petals fell to the ground, I heard my phone ringing.

"Hello?" My voice sounded hazy. It didn't even sound like it came from me.

"So I finally get to see you in that dress."

Griffin's husky voice flooded the phone, warming me instantly.

I could hear him smiling, and it made me want to smile too, even though I was fighting a pit of nerves in my stomach.

"I can't wait to see you." I needed to be with him right now. He was the only person who could hold me and make me feel like it would all be okay.

"Do you know how many shades of corsages there are?" he said, and I let out a little laugh. "But Ellie helped me pick it out, so if it's the wrong shade, blame her," he joked.

It was going to be perfect.

He could've picked the completely wrong color, but it'd still be perfect because it was coming from him.

After a pause, Griffin continued, "I know I'm not the perfect date Grey — I suck at picking corsages, and I sure as hell didn't know what cufflinks were. But I hope I can make tonight special for you. Because you're the perfect date."

His voice was soft, and it made me want to hug him and never let go.

"You are the perfect date," I said, trying to keep my voice from getting shaky. It didn't work.

"What's wrong, Grey?" He suddenly sounded alert.

"Why do you think something's wrong?" I said, my stomach squeezing. 

"I know my girl," he said.

I still felt butterflies, even if it was at the wrong time.

"Everything's okay, promise," I said. He sounded so happy. I could picture him in his suit, hair gelled back, looking at me with the familiar twinkle in his eyes.

I didn't want to take that away from him. So instead of telling him, I made myself smile too.

"Oh, and Griff? I have something for you too. But I can't tell you yet. I think you'll like it, though."

I hung up, trying to keep my hands steady on the steering wheel. Cari and Natasha were the two people closest to each other before her death.

Would Cari hurt her?

I tried to focus on driving home instead of my racing thoughts, but all I could think about were three things.

Tonight.

The last dance.

And what it all came down to.