Epilogue

I always knew saying goodbye to Fairwood would be hard.

I had grown up in this town; fallen in love with the city lights, the vintage diner with the built-in jukebox, and how anything seemed possible under the sun-kissed horizon. Despite the town's secrets and tainted history, this was where home would always be.

Nearly two months had passed since the investigation had closed. Killer Cupid no longer haunted our lives, even though it had become a piece of Fairwood's history. Random, anonymous accounts popped up on social media, claiming to be the new Killer Cupid. These accounts were obsessed with the idea of a Valentine's Day murderer, as if it was a fun tale, instead of a stalker playing a twisted game with our lives.

Only we knew how dark Killer Cupid truly was.

Healing wasn't linear, and some days were better than others. But I no longer had the paralyzing fear that somebody was watching me. I could let go of the burden of latching onto the pain of buried secrets and broken relationships.

For the first time in a while, I felt free. And now, with the summer almost over, I was almost ready to leave —

I just had one more goodbye to make.

My heels echoed against the tile as I turned the corner. Rows of burgundy doors lined the hall, and I looked at the small gold numbers etched on each door, trying to find room 104. Before I could, my phone started ringing.

I reached into the pocket of my black romper, pulling out my phone. As soon as I picked up, a shrill squeal echoed.

"Haven, you better not be late for my birthday party! Remember, I only turn 18 once," Taylor said. Then, in a quieter tone, as she held the phone away from her, she said, "Jeremy, not that wine. It's too sweet." She turned her attention back to the call, and I could feel her shaking her head from here. "Boys suck at picking wine."

"I stick to beer," I heard Jeremy chime in the background.

"I won't be late! Just have one last thing to do." I laughed, hearing her groan.

"Okay, fine. But you have to text me as soon as Griffin picks you up, okay? And tell him to drive fast. Like, in a legal way though."

"Will do. I can't wait to see you! Love you," I said.

"Love you too!" Taylor sang.

I pressed the end button before finding the room at the end of the marble hallway. The door was ajar, and I knocked on it, waiting with bated breath.

"Come in!" Mr. Langston looked up, his blue-grey eyes falling on me. "Haven," he said in surprise. "What are you still doing here?"

"It's my last day, so I just wanted to say goodbye," I said. "And um... thank you for letting me help here this summer." A lump lodged in my throat, and I silently cursed at myself. I had told myself I wouldn't get emotional, but that wasn't going according to plan.

Mr. Langston swallowed. "Haven, I should thank you. What you did means a lot to our family. Both, Mrs. Ryan and I."

After graduation and Natasha's investigation closed, Mrs. Ryan moved like she had said she would. But her words stuck in my head; about how Wilcrest Hall, the volunteering organization, would be the one tie they still had to their children.

Natasha and Darian.

Two lives lost, two people that should've been here.

Before I went to California, I decided I wanted to help, too. I had spent the summer volunteering at the hall.

"Of course," I said. "I should get going, but I'll be around. I'm thinking about returning during the winter break. It's hard to stay away from Fairwood. Even with the things people say about it."

Mr. Langston gave me a small smile. "Well, anytime you want to come, we'd love to have you."

A small smile played on my lips. I turned to leave, but before I could, I heard him again.

"You were a good friend to her. I think — I think Natasha would've been happy."

I believed him. I truly did.

A dull, bitter-sweet ache settled inside my stomach. Tears pricked my eyes, but this time, I felt equipped for my emotions. "See you around, Mr. Langston."

"See you around, Haven."

It might've been stupid to feel like Natasha was looking down at me, that she was proud of me. But it still made me feel better to think that maybe she was. It made it feel like she wasn't gone — like a part of her would always be in Fairwood, too. 

As I started walking out, a loud voice, one that you couldn't miss, called out my name.

I turned to see Julian grinning at me. "You weren't leaving without telling your best volunteer friend goodbye, were you?" He raised his eyebrows at me dramatically.

I laughed. "No! I was going to say bye to you too, Jule. I couldn't forget."

He rolled his eyes before breaking into a cheeky grin. "Whatever. Anyway, that boy you volunteered with earlier this year... I thought you said you two were just friends. Is that still true? Because he's out in the front to pick you up." The knowing look in his eyes made me blush.

"We're more than friends now," I teased, and his mouth dropped.

"I knew it! If you don't remember to video chat me with details, consider this friendship over."

I laughed, shaking my head. "I promise I'll tell you everything," I said. "Bye, Julian. I'm going to miss you so much! You need to visit us."

"Don't worry, I'll fly out. I heard there are a lot of good-looking people there." I laughed as he enveloped me in a goodbye hug.

I looked at the large coffee-colored building, a small wave of nostalgia racing through me. It felt like an ending, and I didn't always know what to make of endings. Still, I felt readier than I had in a while. Besides, I knew I'd be back. With a last faint smile, I turned around.

Griffin's parked car was in the front. His eyes lit up as they landed on me, and he reached over to open the door so I could sit in the passenger seat. "Hey," he said, leaning in to kiss me. He smelled good, like always, and he briefly brushed his lips against my collarbone. "Do you think Taylor will kill me if I make a detour?"

"Where did you want to go? And she'll definitely kill you," I said innocently.

"It's a surprise," he said, continuing to trail kisses downwards. Before I could reply, he pulled me into his lap, keeping his hands around my waist. Then he looked up at the last second and winked, his voice becoming husky. "And good thing I don't scare easily, then."

"Since when did you become so risky?" I joked. I was teasing — Griffin had never been the type to play by the rules. He pushed me to take chances, which was one of the many things I loved about him.

"I can do a lot more than that, Grey," he said, his dark eyes searching mine. I could get lost in the abyss of his eyes, wanting more and more until I felt inebriated.

"So what do you say?" His voice was soft, eyes flicking down to my lips. "Are you up for a little adventure?"

I intertwined our hands and smiled into the kiss, letting him know my wordless answer.

And I realized then that I was wrong when I said I didn't know what to make of endings.

Because with the truly special things like him, it wasn't an ending. It was the beginning of something beautiful, something that burned brighter than a dozen candles; shone brighter than a million stars.

It was forever.