Chapter 13: We're All Liars

When picking clothes, apparently 'what to wear to your dead ex-best friend's house' wasn't a category.

After countless outfit changes, I had decided on a navy-blue flounce-sleeve dress and a white headband that pulled my hair back. I was standing in front of Mrs. Ryan's house, waiting to give her the baked goods I had promised my mom I would bring. My mom didn't know my offer wasn't entirely out of kindness. The entire thing was a little transactional, even though I felt guilty about it. I was hoping to get inside Natasha's room — after all, everyone knew a bedroom held locked secrets. Maybe there would be a clue that could lead me to the truth of her disappearance and murder.

I looked down at my phone while waiting for Natasha's mom to answer, holding my breath as the doorbell echoed. A few moments passed, and then the door opened. Mrs. Ryan glanced at me before her lips curved into a surprised smile.

Natasha's mom, Diane, was a single attorney. I admired her and feared her at the same time. Aside from the slight wrinkles on her forehead, everything about her was smooth and stunning, beautifully sculpted to look inviting yet intimidating. Her green eyes, thin eyebrows, and features were sharp — nothing about her blended in or was unforgettable, as it was with Natasha.

Even though there wasn't much resemblance between her eyes and Natasha's, I felt the familiar coldness, and it felt like I was looking back at her instead of her mother. Suddenly, I wished I hadn't come.

"It's good to see you after a long time, Haven." Her voice was firm and commanding.

"You too, Mrs. Ryan." I wore a smile that I hoped looked genuine. "Here's, um, some cupcakes."

"Diane for you, always." She corrected me, widening the door for me to enter. I was used to taking my shoes off when I entered the house because of my family, but the Ryan family usually kept their shoes on.

"Take a seat and make yourself comfortable," she said. "I'm actually finishing up lunch, so hang out here for a little, and then it should be ready."

"Just water is fine," I said. "And oh, you don't have to make lunch — I mean, you have to for yourself because you need to eat. But I don't need to. Though I love your cooking, from what I remember." I stopped babbling, pasting on a pseudo-genuine smile.

"No worries at all," she said, ignoring that I sounded like an idiot. She disappeared into the kitchen.

I looked around the house, taking in the photos.

You would think it would look like some creepy, stone-cold house with secrets, but nope. It was just a typical house, with hardwood floors, white lamps, coffee-colored carpets, and simple decor. My eyes fell on one picture of Natasha. Her hair fell below her shoulders, her eyes bright, and she had on a gold locket.

A lump lodged in my throat.

I wasn't supposed to be here.

Because by being here, I'd have to look Mrs. Ryan in the eye and tell her I'm sorry for your loss when I knew what Natasha had done.

By being here, I had to tell her everything I wished I could forget.

The following night, after Griffin and I had almost kissed, I had a decision to make.

Lose him forever to save my relationship with Justin and my friendship with Natasha, or keep him in my life and lose everyone else.

Losing him was the safe bet. I could keep my boyfriend, my friends, and the life I created. I'd no longer hear him softly call me Grey, or look at me with electric blue eyes that pulled me in. He'd no longer be my friend, and I would never get to explore what it would be like if we had kissed that day.