Chapter 31: Falling

When I was younger, I used to believe in shooting stars.

I would wish for many things. For the fancy red scarf hanging in the department store window, draped around the mannequin's neck. For my mom to let me go on the camping trip, my first overnight trip away from home. I even wished for my first kiss to be with Liam Cador, even though he always smelled too sweet, like an overpowering scent of butterscotch.

But there was one wish I wished for more than anything. I used dandelions and birthday candles, and then I would look into the sky and wait to see a shooting star, just so I could wish for a boy who would one day look at me as if he saw the same stars in my eyes.

It was crazy how wishes had a way of coming true.

I looked at my reflection in Griffin's bathroom mirror, straightening the messy, dark strands of my hair with my fingers.

It hit me I was actually in his bedroom; I had been in here before, but this was different. It was as if something had shifted between us, and suddenly I was nervous. I imagined what it would look like if I had the post-sex glow, and then I shook my head for letting Luce's words get into my head.

I had changed into Griffin's clothes to spend the night, and his t-shirt was a lot bigger on me. It smelled fresh, with a hint of sage and pine. His clothes made him look hot — but I definitely looked stupid in them. I swung open the door, waiting for him to laugh at the sight. Instead, he looked at me and swallowed, his eyes quickly skimming over me without him saying anything.

"What?" I said, suddenly feeling self-conscious. "Do I look bad?"

"No," he said, moving his arms so his biceps were more pronounced. "I think — never mind."

"Tell me!" I insisted.

He still didn't answer, taking me in, in a way that made me giddy and nervous at once. "Tell me," I repeated, moving closer to him.

"Or what?" he said, his lips pulling up into a devilish smile as he watched me.

I contemplated how to answer that.

Before I could, he reached out and pulled me closer, making me giggle. "I think you should wear my clothes more," he said in a low tone, his voice serious and husky. I felt my breath hitch as I realized how close we were. I think he did too, because he looked at me so intensely that I felt my stomach flutter. I placed my arms around his neck, and he moved me so I was straddling him before kissing my forehead.

"Thank you for staying the night with me," Griffin said softly. His fingers entwined with mine.

"I didn't want to be alone tonight, either," I whispered. I didn't know what I would do if I were in my room. The room that Justin had been in several times. I hated to admit it, but I was scared of someone I once thought would never hurt me.

Griffin took his bottom lip in between his teeth before releasing it. "This whole time, I knew we'd find the killer. I just never imagined what it would feel like when the truth was out."

I swallowed. "Do you think they're going to arrest him?"

Griffin looked at me with hooded eyes. "I'm sorry, Haven."

"Why are you sorry?"

"This whole time, I was so angry at Justin. I didn't think about how you feel." He licked his lips uncertainly. "I should've thought about you before I reacted like that earlier today. It's just... I felt this consuming rage, like I couldn't see clearly. All I could see was Natasha's face, and I wanted to keep going." His voice grew dry. "I didn't listen to you, and I'm sorry for that."