Chapter 38: Dirty Dancing

I didn't see her.

What I saw was a gorgeous chandelier casting soft lights alongside illuminated stars on the walls. The photo booth had a line already forming. The prom committee had outdone themselves this year, making the entire room sparkle with lights and glittering decorations. They had painted the front backdrop with a castle landscape and a starry night.

The theme was Fairytale Nights, which was ironic because even though we looked like princesses and princes, there were too many secrets. Too many lies.

In some ways, we weren't living a fairytale at all.

A fast-paced song began, and I saw Jeremy flail his arms. He was a bad dancer, but it made Taylor throw her head back and laugh. He matched her sparkly black dress with his black and white tuxedo, and his eyes shone as he watched her smile. They looked like they didn't have a care in the world — maybe they didn't. Letters of blackmail and scandalous articles later, they were here, together.

West's hands were on Luce's waist, and he leaned down to kiss her on the forehead before spinning her around. Her pink dress matched his bow tie, and he pretended to bow as if he was truly her Prince Charming. Even from here, it was visible that they were the ideal couple, the resident sweethearts, the type of people who wouldn't dare hurt someone. Except as more truths unraveled, I realized even the prettiest eyes had seen the darkest truths.

Coop was whispering something to Lila, and she cocked her head before nodding. He had asked her to prom after the mess of the Valentine's Day party. They were the ones who weren't suspects, not truly. Aside from sneaking sweet kisses, what did they have to lie about? They were the outliers.

I saw Willow walk in, a glass already in her hand. She had come alone, but that didn't stop her from looking confident and gorgeous. She tilted the glass up to her mouth, taking a sip. Her curls spilled down the back of the silver dress with a plunging neckline she wore as she looked back up. As usual, a devilish smile tugged the corner of her lips, as if she knew something no one else did. Maybe she did.

Justin was there, too. In the end, I guess he decided to come, even if he was Fairwood's most hated student. Across the floor, with one hand in his pocket as he leaned against the refreshments table. His bruise looked a lot better. His eyes flitted to the side as if he was looking for something — or someone.

His eyes met with Willow's as she passed him.

She was the first one to look away.

Kai was last, in a maroon dress and sneakers instead of heels. She walked in, lifting her hand to wave at Taylor, who returned the gesture. Their friendship had seemed unlikely, but what had started with getting revenge had turned into something real, or so it seemed.

All the suspects.

All the people who had a reason to hurt Natasha.

Together, in one room again, just like the night of the party.

Except for one person. Cari was nowhere in sight, and with a sinking heart, I wondered if she hadn't come. But that wasn't possible — she wouldn't have missed tonight.

"Hey," a voice breathed by my ear before his hands were on my hips. I tilted my head back into Griffin's chest and I felt him lean into me to kiss my neck. "What's on your mind?"

I closed my eyes, savoring the warmth from his lips before answering. "Dance with me," I said, turning around and placing my arms around his neck.

"Gladly," he said, his voice coming out rougher than I had expected. He pulled me closer to him, and I couldn't help letting out a little gasp. He raised his eyebrows as if he was challenging me.

"I like this side of you," I said, smiling as I placed my hand in his.

"Grey, there's a lot more of this side I have saved just for you," he said, tracing his fingers right below my ear.

As the song changed, he moved his one hand to my hip and kept his other holding mine. For a moment, I could forget about everything else. I felt myself getting high off of the scent of his woodsy cologne, and the way his dark gaze held mine.

I placed my head on his chest and closed my eyes, moving to the rhythm of the music and listening to the sound of his heart beating.

When I moved away, I looked up at him. "Watch those hands," I teased, pulling at his red tie gently. "Principal Moore won't be too happy."

I could see him off in the distance, but it seemed like even he was letting loose today. He was talking to a teacher, a grin on his face as he attempted to do something that looked like dancing.

"It's okay," Griffin smirked. "Never really liked that guy, anyway." I laughed, watching him as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"You are absolutely beautiful, Have."

I felt my heart flutter at his words. I saw it in the way he looked at me when he first picked me up. The way his mouth had parted, and he had been at a loss for words until he had remembered to say something.

And then again, when I had handed him the sunflowers and he leaned in to kiss me.

He meant every word he said. I stood on my tippy toes to give him a quick kiss, pulling away to smile at him.

But it wasn't his face that caught my gaze anymore. It was the person who had just walked in, standing at the entrance in a forest green strapless dress.

Cari was here.

A/N Tune in next week to see how it all ends ;)

Holiday (and last) update schedule's going to be Tuesday and Wednesday. <3