Chapter 20: Not One For Formalities

Not everything that glitters is gold, but today was an exception. The gold evening gown I wore hugged my body. I styled my hair so that it would fall in sleek black waves. I knew I looked the part with liquid eyeliner, a more dramatic wing than usual, and dark red lipstick.

Except something was missing.

Someone was missing. I tried to ignore the dull pit in my stomach, blocking Griffin's face from my mind.

"Finally," Dev said, pushing the door open before I could say anything. "I knew girls took long to get ready, but you've been in there for hours."

I ignored the insult. "Have you heard of knocking?"

"Not really." Dev shot me an innocent smile.

"You look handsome, Devy," I teased. He wore a black tux and bow tie and had even gelled his hair back.

"You too," he said, making me swat at him.

He backed away, laughing. "You ready?"

"Yup — wait a minute. Did you shave?" I squinted at his chin.

He flushed. "No. Okay, fine, I did. But if you say anything in front of Mia — "

"You like her?" I exclaimed excitedly. I knew he was bringing a date, but I thought it was casual. He groaned, and I put my arm around him as we walked out. "I promise I won't embarrass you. Too much."

We walked downstairs to join the others. My mom wore a gorgeous green cowl neck dress, her long black hair in a high ponytail. She moved the glass of wine in her hand as she laughed at something my dad said. His green tie matched hers perfectly.

He leaned in closer to her, whispering something in her ear.

"Please don't be gross and kiss because we're here now," Dev chimed in.

Mom turned back and smiled, shaking her head.

"Look at my beautiful kids." Dad beamed. Before I could greet Mia at the bottom, my mouth dropped open at seeing the person standing next to her.

Justin held out a gold corsage, taking my hand as I pulled him to the side.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed under my breath.

"I'm escorting my girlfriend to the charity formal," he said calmly.

"Girlfriend?" I scoffed.

"Don't be like this, Haven."

"I'm not the one — "

"We had a fight," he interrupted, his voice going up an octave before he relaxed. "Couples fight. Did you really think we'd break up over something so stupid?" He took a look at my face and sighed. "Please don't make a scene today. Not in front of everyone." He put an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to the rest of the family, and I tried to keep the smile on my face. 

As soon as we reached the hall, Justin opened the car door and offered me his hand. I took it, but only so I wouldn't stumble as I stepped out. We walked up the marble steps and into the hall. It looked gorgeous; decorated with beaded crystal columns, white and gold balloons, and an arch made of rose petals. The board had covered the tables with white tablecloths, lighted rose-scented candles, and champagne glasses.

"Oh, this shit is fancy, fancy." Dev offered his hand to Mia, and they disappeared to their allocated table.

I smiled, moving my eyes across the ballroom, and that's when I saw him.

Dressed in a navy blue suit jacket with his hair gelled and not tousled for once, making his eyes even brighter and his cheekbones more noticeable. My first thought was how handsome he looked, making me suck in a breath.