A Confession

It's a busy evening. Then again, we, the police, are always busy on Halloween. This year, however, having drawn the longest stick, I had chosen to stay back at the precinct.

As I settle in my almost comfortable chair and lean back, I see a girl, barely out of her teens with a petite frame; a plain white crop top and blue knee-length skirt, walk inside on wobbly legs. Unlike girls her age, the only accessory on her is a silver necklace with a simple pendant that reads: Live you forever.

Our eyes meet, and a tear rolls down her cheek. It tugs at my heart, and before I know it, I am by her side. But before I can support her, she moves away. "I don't deserve your kindness." She pauses, and another tear escapes; she looks at me, "I am here to confess to a murderer."

"Was it self defense?" I enquire, for the girl doesn't look like a murderer.

She shakes her head, "No, I am here to confess." she repeats.

I sigh and nod, "Whom did you murder?"

"My boyfriend."

"Why?"

Silence.

"Alright." I nod and press on, "Murder weapon?"

"Poison."

"Time of death."

"Not yet."

"What do you mean?" I demand trying to read her.

"He is not dead yet."

"Excuse me!?" I exclaim.

"He hasn't had it yet."

'This is another prank!' I conclude, and my temper rises, "Who put you up to this!?" I demand.

"I came to confess." She repeats once more, sounding and looking guilty.

"If this is a prank... " I start, but the girl speaks again, "He will die within five minutes." She starts, closing her eyes.

"Look, young lady-"

She ignores me and continues, "You can't save him."

"Fine!  Give me the name and address!" I yell, making her tremble.

"Alexander Smith, 25 Velvet Street, Rockville." She mutters, looking at her  feet.

As I make the necessary calls, the girl buries her face in her palms; soft tremors rock her frame.

A few minutes pass in silence, and then my phone rings.

"Tell me," I order, and my colleague, Miky, informs, "Jim, he died just as we reached him. I am sorry."

"Was he alone?"

"We haven't searched the house." He replies, "A moment." He says, putting me on hold and a few seconds later, informs, "We found another body in the bedroom. It looks like suicide. Her wrists are slit." He pauses and adds a few seconds later, "We found a note. It's a confession. She poisoned the victim and slit her wrists."

"So a murder-suicide, then?" I enquire.

"Looks like it." Miky states and snorts.

"What is it?"

"It's ironic. The girl is wearing a necklace that reads: Live you forever."

My breath hitches. I look at the girl sitting in front of me, and our eyes meet.

The clock strikes twelve.

"I am here to confess." She whispers one last time and vanishes into thin air.

" She whispers one last time and vanishes into thin air

{Note:- Word count 492}