The Real Me

It's Halloween again. I looked outside the window of our one-story building; it was buzzing with activity.

Fairies, princesses, witches, wizards, vampires, Frankenstein, and other 'in trend' characters, roamed the streets, smiling, laughing, and full of excitement. I even spotted our neighbor's three-year-old twins dressed as a bunch of grapes.

Halloween, a day when one can be whatever they wanted to be without being judged or rejected.

Sighing, I opened my wardrobe, and as always, I found a pink princess costume waiting for me. With a heavy heart, I looked at it, and all the other frilly, pink, beige, reds, purples, yellows that adorn its shelves.

No, not today, I told myself. I took a pair of scissors and sat in front of the mirror. I pulled my long golden locks in front and started chopping it off.
Soon, long bunches of my golden hair covered the floor around me.

I smiled and looked at my messy short crop and ran my fingers through it, "Finally free." As soon as the words left my lips, a feeling of ecstasy washed over me.

Crouching in front of my bed, I pulled out a box and opened it to reveal a black leather jacket and matching pants. Taking a deep breath, I dressed myself in the clothes I was sure my parents would loathe. I remove all traces of makeup from my face before walking downstairs.

The first one to see me was my perfect elder sister. Perfect, for she was exactly on the inside as she was on the outside. She was comfortable in her skin.

"Nikki! What happened to your hair!?" She exclaimed; her eyes widened.

"Nothing. It's a little messy, but I like it." I replied, smiling.

Without a word, she ran to the kitchen to alert mom and dad, who came out and stopped dead in their tracks as soon as their eyes fell on me; mother's eyes shone with unshed tears, and my father's eyes held judgment.

"Tell me the truth! Who put you up to it?" She enquired. She held my shoulders and shook it.

"Mom, no one put me up to it, and nor is this a joke. This who I am, mom." I replied.

"No!" She yelled and stepped away from me.

Mom, why don't you want to accept me like this!?

"Nikki, what the hell are you wearing?" Dad asked, crossing his hands over his chest.

"It's what I have always wanted to wear, dad. What's wrong with it?"

"Are you a hooker! Are you taking drugs!?" He accused, fuming with anger. But I held my ground. I had decided that it was time I throw away the costume I had worn all my life.

"No, dad. I am none of those. I am still your daughter, just more myself than what you want me to be." I stated matter-of-factly and walked out, looking exactly how my heart desired.

" I stated matter-of-factly and walked out, looking exactly how my heart desired