Chapter Eight - Carth

After capturing Knightmare, the Storm Hawks and Starling brought him aboard the Condor and restrained him with the tightest restraints they could find. After restraining Knightmare, Starling walked towards the unconscious Knightmare. She took a deep breath as she looked upon the unconscious Knightmare she knew as Carth.

Starling: Carth....what happened to you?

As Starling placed her hand on Knightmare's helmet, his eyes opened and he lunged at her. Luckily, the restraints were able to hold him. Soon enough, the Storm Hawks with the exception of Stork entered the room where Aerrow began interrogating him.

Aerrow: Who are you?

Knightmare: Kill..... kill.....

Finn: That's not at all terrifying....

Knightmare: Must kill.....my targets....for Master Cyclonis.....

Starling: Carth, do you remember me?

Knightmare was silent as confusion ran through his mind. There was something familiar in both Starling and the name she called out. All that could be heard was his low and guttural mechanical breathing. 

Starling: Carth, it's me. Starling. Do you remember me? 

Knightmare remained silent. The form of Starling seemed familiar to him. It was like a faint dream that he couldn't recall. As Starling continued to try and reach him, Knightmare once more lunged at her, but the restraints keep him under control. Seeing that there was no point in trying to speak, they left the room. 

Finn: Well that was....absolutely terrifying!

Aerrow: Starling, you said you knew Knightmare. How?

Starling took a deep breath as she prepared to speak on the nature of Knightmare's true identity. 

Starling: His....his name was Carth. He was once a member of the Interceptors. 

Upon hearing this, the Storm Hawks were shocked. They all remembered how the Interceptors were wiped out by Repton and the Raptors with only Starling surviving. 

Piper: What?! That can't be right! The Interceptors were destroyed by the Raptors!

Starling: I know. I was there. I saw Carth die in an explosion. He and I were....very close. 

Starling began to reflect on the nature of her relationship with Carth. She looked out the window into Knightmare's holding room. She looked with sadness in her eyes as the man she once knew was turned into a Sky Knight killing machine. 

Junko: But how's Carth still alive and why is he fighting for the Cyclonians?

Starling: I...I don't know. Carth's body was never found. I...I never would've imagined that the Cyclonians took his body and turned him into...this. 

Aerrow: This...this must be hard for you.....

Starling's mind then went back to the day that Starling met Carth at the Sky Knight Academy on Terra Mesa. She was walking to the training room when a brown haired student ran up to her. 

Cadet: Hey! You forgot this!

The cadet then handed the Starling her Energy Nunchucks. 

Starling(Past): Oh. Thank you!

Cadet: I saw that you left them back at class so I decided to give them back. Didn't want you to get a lecture from the headmaster.

Starling(Past): I appreciate the gesture. 

The cadet lets out a cocky smile as he stretches his hand out to Starling. Starling was at first confused by this. 

Cadet: I'm Carth!

Starling(Past): Hello, Carth. I'm Starling. Nice to meet you. 

Carth: My Mom always said that when two people give out their names to each other, they cease to become strangers and become friends! So I guess in this moment, we're friends!

Starling was caught off guard by Carth's energetic personality. It was a stark contrast to her calm and reserved nature. Despite this, Starling found herself enjoying Carth's presence. She smiled and shook his hand. 

Starling(Past): I guess your mother was right, Carth. We should get to the training room. We wouldn't want to be late. 

In that moment, a bond had been started between Starling and Carth. They would grow close with one another all the way to them joining the Interceptors. Back in the present, Starling reflected on her memories. 

Junko: So what now? 

Aerrow: We take him back to the Sky Council. 

Starling: We can't. 

Piper: Why?

Starling: Because I know Carth's in there. I want to know what the Cyclonians did to him. Whatever they did to him, I want to know who and what. 

Upon hearing this, the Storm Hawks were surprised at this. They had never seen Starling so emotional about someone. 

Finn: I'm pretty sure he wants to kill all of us in very painful ways. Great. Now I'm sounding like Stork. 

Piper: Starling, do you really think Carth is in there? 

Starling: He has to be. With all their technology, even they can't bring back the dead. I doubt they completely erased Carth. I...I just need to keep going. I need to remind him of who he is. 

Aerrow: But what if you can't? What if Knightmare is all that's left?

Starling refused to believe that the man she loved was gone. In her heart, Carth had to be in there somewhere within Knightmare. 

Starling: I know he's in there. I...I just need to keep going. If I can reach out to him, then I know I can pull Carth out of Knightmare. I just need to keep going. 

In that moment, the Storm Hawks chose to respect Starling's wishes for now. Starling made it her mission to reach out to Carth and try to bring him back. She knew that somewhere within the monster lies the man she loved. Deep down within Knightmare was Carth. In Starling's heart, even a small light of hope was enough for Starling to try and save Carth.