Chapter Nine - Reaching Out

As night fell, the Condor stopped at an isolated Terra to rest. Starling chose to keep watch on Knightmare while the Storm Hawks rested. She looked through the window where Knightmare was being held. She watched as he remained still. Starling entered the room to try and reach out to Carth.

Starling: Who are you?

Knightmare: Knight....mare....

Starling: You're not Knightmare! Your name is Carth! You were a Sky Knight! An Interceptor!

Knightmare remained silent with only his guttural and mechanical breathing making any sound. Starling looked upon the man who was once her beloved with tears in her eyes. She looked upon the restraints keeping him down.

Starling: Remember who you are. You're not the monster they say you are!

Starling took a deep breath as she loosened the restraints holding Knightmare down. When she releases Knightmare from his restraints, he lunges at her and grabs her by the throat. 

Starling: C...Carth...it's me! 

Something strange had happened. In most situations, Knightmare would've killed without hesitation. Yet in this moment, something in Knightmare had changed. In that moment, Knightmare hesitated for reasons he did not know. His low and guttural mechanical breathing echoed throughout the room. Despite struggling to breathe, Starling didn't lose hope. She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a worn out photograph. The photograph was of Starling and Carth in their uniforms. 

Starling: This is you, Carth! Remember who you are!

In that moment, memories began flooding Knightmare's head. These memories began to take it's effect on Knightmare as he lets go of Starling. Knightmare was in a state of terror and confusion. The memories were familiar yet held no apparent meaning. He saw a Sky Knight fighting the Cyclonians as a member of the Interceptors. Starling took a moment to catch her breath. She then remembered a conversation she had with Carth. 

Starling(Past): Carth, do you have any regrets?

Carth: Why would I? Life's too short to have them. We're Sky Knights. Our job is to help people. Being a Sky Knight is all I've ever wanted. 

Starling(Past): But do you sometimes wish that you could leave this life behind?

Carth: Once or twice, but I look at you and realize what I'd be giving up on. If I walked away now, all I'd have would be regrets. 

In that moment, Starling's heart stopped. Despite all the horrors she has witnessed in the war, Carth seemed to be the one holding her together. In that moment, Starling pulled Carth over for a kiss. Carth was taken aback by this. 

Carth: Whoa....

Starling(Past): I love you, Carth. I love you with all my heart. 

Carth: Heh. Glad the feeling's mutual.

Back in the present, Starling slowly approached the confused Knightmare as he tried to process the memories that were flooding his mind. She then placed her hand on Knightmare's metal helmet. She was then met by the red eyes of Knightmare. 

Starling: Carth, remember who you are. You're a Sky Knight! We were in the Interceptors together! We've fought side by side in the war. We fought the Cyclonians together. Don't you remember?

Knightmare fell silent as memories fell into his mind. He could see Doctor Skaal working on a man who suffered great wounds. He watched as the mask was grafted onto the man's face. 

Skaal: In Raptor legend, there is a a warrior known as the Sky Hunter. According to legend, the Sky Hunter killed over a thousand of the finest warriors in all of Atmos. Some even call him immortal. A rather rudimentary title if you ask me. But the lore itself is rather.....fascinating.

As the mask was grafted onto the man's face, a familiar low and guttural mechanical breathing was heard. The man was now reborn. Skaal looked upon the mechanical monstrosity with pride. 

Skaal: Look at you.....perfect. Absolutely perfect. Behold...my crowning achievement! You are my creation....my masterpiece....my magnum opus. I have saved you from the clutches of death. And now you have been given a new life. A life with purpose. In every sense of the word, you are superior to your common brethren. From this day forth, you shall be known as....Knightmare. 

In that moment, Knightmare watched as he was placed into the stasis pod. Back in the present, Knightmare looked upon Starling with an array of emotions he had never felt before. Up until this point, Knightmare was an unstoppable killing machine hellbent on destruction. But as Knightmare locked eyes with Starling, it was as if all his killer instinct had been taken away. His orders demanded that he'd kill Starling and the Storm Hawks. He was free and could do so without a problem. Yet he couldn't bring himself to do so. It was as if every fiber in his body prevented him from doing so. In the far reaches of his mind, Knightmare could only mutter a single word. 

Knightmare: Star...

Knightmare soon slipped into unconsciousness in Starling's arms. In that single moment, it was as if Starling had reached out to Carth and pulled him out. But it was too soon to call. For now, all Starling could do was hope that she managed to pull Carth from the veil of Knightmare. That brought great hope to Starling's heart as this proved that the man she loved was not fully dead. He was deep in the shadow of Knightmare. For Starling, that one single word from Knightmare was all that she needed to know that Carth was still in there within the beast.