13 - Date Crashing

One week later... The Night of Slughorn's Christmas Party

Hermione and I walked a few yards behind Harry and Ron, staying out of sight. "It's not my fault she's got an exotic twist," Ron smirked. "What Lav and I've got, there's no stopping it. It's chemical," Harry listened uninterested. "This stupid git," Hermione whispered at me. We walked into potions class. We'd switched up our seats a bit due to Ron's new girlfriend. He'd sit with her instead of us now. Draco had seen this as an opportunity to snag his spot so he could be my potions partner.

"Now add the peppermint sprig," I motioned as Draco plopped it into the cauldron. We were making Elixir to Induce Euphoria today. He stirred it as I added the sopophorus beans. "Grab the wormwood for me, would you?" he asked. I grabbed it from the shelf, putting it into the cauldron. Draco stirred six times clockwise, and we were done. "A+ for you two," Slughorn nodded.

After classes, Hermione and I went to get dressed for Slughorn's party. "Who'd you ask to go with you?" I asked as I put my dress on. "Cormac, thought it would make Ron the most jealous," she rolled her eyes. "Yikes," I mumbled as we walked into the common room, both Neville and Cormac waiting for us. "You look great! Don't tell Malfoy I said that, I don't want to get beat up," Neville smiled shyly. "Thank you Neville, and I won't," I laughed.

We walked to the party room, Cormac attempting to flirt and touch Hermione the entire way. "If she doesn't want you to touch her than don't," Neville spoke, noticing Hermione's uncomfortableness. "Why would you care, Longbottom?" Cormac scoffed. "She's my friend," he said defensively. Cormac rolled his eyes, walking over to the food table. "Thanks, Neville," Hermione smiled. Harry had brought Luna. "Do you mind if I, um," Neville looked over to her. "Go get her," I smiled.

Harry, Hermione and I grouped up after getting a few drinks. "You brought Cormac?" Harry said surprised. "You didn't tell him?" I snorted. "I thought it would make Ron jealous," she sighed, clearly regretting her decision. "I'm going to get some food," Hermione walked off.

DRACO'S POV

I waited behind the wall until everyone going to Slughorn's party had passed, one of them being Caroline, who was walking inside with Hermione, Neville and Cormac. She wore a beautiful blue tulle dress, flowers lacing the off the shoulder sleeves. I really had wanted to go with her, but I couldn't. I had to work on the vanishing cabinet. Snape had been kind enough to let me off the second task, but I had to do the first.

I slipped into the room of requirement, taking the cloak off of the cabinet. I placed a green apple inside, shutting the door and locking it, then whispered the incantation I'd been told months earlier. I opened it, to see that the apple had dissapeared. I whispered the spell twice more, and when the door whipped open, a large bite had been taken out of the apple. My heart raced as I realized what I was doing; the plan had worked.

CAROLINE'S POV

Harry and I watched as Hermione slipped into the curtains. "What are you doing?" I asked as we followed her. "I've just escaped, I left Cormac under the mistletoe," she shuddered. "Oh bloody hell," I couldn't help but giggle at the idea of Cormac trying to snog her. "Dragon tartar?" a waiter asked, coming up to ask. "No thank you," we all answered. "Very well, they give one terrible breath," he smiled. "On second thoughts, might keep Cormac at bay," she stole the platter, snarfing them down.

"Oh for Merlin's Sake, here he comes," Hermione slipped away from us, handing Harry the platter. "I think she just went to powder her nose," Harry stammered. "Sneaky little minx your friend," Cormac scoffed, downing a piece of dragon tartar. "What are these?" he questioned. "Dragon t-" "Dragon balls," I cut Harry off. Snape was walking towards us now, and without thinking, Cormac spat his dessert all over Snape's shoes.

"You've just earned yourself a month's detention, McGlaggen," he hissed. Harry and I tried to slip away, but were stopped by Snape. "I think we should rejoin the party, Sir, my date-" "can surely wait for another minute or two Mr. Potter, besides, I only wish to convey a message," Snape exclaimed. "A message?" he asked.

"From Professor Dumbledore, he asked me to give you his best and he hopes you enjoy your holiday. He's traveling, and he won't return until term resumes," he spoke. "Traveling where?" Harry asked. Snape stood staring at the two of us, walking away without answering his question.

"Get your hands off me, you filthy squib," a voice sneered, causing me to whip my head around. Draco's eyes landed on me as Filch dragged him in by the arm. "Professor Slughorn, I've just discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor, he claims he was invited to your party-" "Okay, okay I was date crashing, happy?" Draco barked. His eyes were still on mine. Snape followed Draco's gaze to me. "I'll escort him out," Snape smirked. "Certainly, Professor."

"I say we follow them," Harry whispered to me. "Agreed." We followed Draco and Snape sneakily into the hall, hiding behind a nearby corridor to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Maybe I did hex that Bell girl, maybe I didn't-" Draco was cut off by Snape pushing him against the corridor wall. "I swore to protect you, I made the unbreakable vow," he hissed. "I don't need protection. He chose me, out of all of us, me," Draco argued. "And yet you don't have the guts to kill-" "I won't kill her," his voice broke. "I can't, I will do the first task, but I won't kill her," Draco whispered. "Well you better make a plan, and a damn good one at that to spare one single life," Snape sneered at him. "She's not just one single life," Draco's voice faltered.

"What is she then? Say it, Malfoy," Snape hissed in his face. I don't know why I expected him to stand up for me, but his lips remained shut. He couldn't say it.

He had to kill me? Draco had to kill me? My gaze turned to Harry, my eyes full of confusion. "Let's go," Harry grabbed my arm, and we returned to the party. I tried to focus, but all I could hear were Draco's words swirling in my head like wildfire. "I can't kill her," he'd said.

I'd ask him tomorrow.