iii. Defining Moment

╔═════════════╗

╔═════════════╗

✧·゚:CHAPTER THREE*:·゚✧

╚═════════════╝

✧·゚: *✧·゚:*  the asset  *:·゚✧*:·゚✧
date: 19th September 2013
location: the Bus, Classified

    ━━"Fitz, you have anywhere to sit, but instead you squeeze yourself next to Simmons and me?"

    Fitz gave her a look. Just to annoy Roy anymore, he shuffled in his spot, making her and Simmons have to lean up against the arms of the couch to give him room. Throwing her eyes up to the ceiling, she muttered, "Oh, of course, you use the childish response."

    "Oh, so you don't want me to sit with you?" Fitz scoffed.

    "Not when you're taking up half the room on the couch!"

    Simmons sighed, exasperated. She pinched the bridge of her nose. "If you two don't shut up now, I will move."

    They fell silent. The rest of the team--save May, who was up in the cockpit━met up where Fitz-Roy-Simmons were sitting. Skye threw herself onto one of the chairs, swinging around slightly and massaging her fists that had been at a punching bag for the last ten minutes. Ward took the seat opposite her, brooding to himself━as usual. Coulson arrived last, starting the brief as soon as he was close.

    "A few minutes ago, a S.H.I.E.L.D. transport was attacked while carrying a priority red protected asset off Route Seventy-Six near Sterling."

    "Priority red?" wondered Simmons, leaning forward.

    Coulson nodded, "The asset was Canadian physicist Doctor Franklin Hall, known for his work━"

    Fitz-Roy-Simmons's shoulders all slumped at the picture he showed them. Their arguments aside, the three of them shook their heads, letting out miserable cries of, "Oh, no, not Frank━", "━Doctor Hall━?", "━What happened?"

    "He was our chemical kinetics advisor our second year," said Fitz, his hands clamped together with worry.

    "Yeah, he's so enthusiastic about science, we just adored him!" Simmons fell back.

    "We can rescue him, can't we?" Roy looked up at Coulson, her eyes wide and pleading.

    "He's one of ours," he replied. "We're gonna try."

    "And the attackers?" frowned Ward.

    "Invisible."

    "Wait, invisible?" Skye's gaze followed Coulson as he left. She chuckled. "Cool." Roy's eyes flickered down, and Skye realised her mistake too late. "B━But terrible," she added.