xix. Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

╔═════════════╗

╔═════════════╗

✧·゚:CHAPTER NINETEEN*:·゚✧

╚═════════════╝

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* nothing personal *:·゚✧*:·゚✧
date: January 15th, 2014
location: Providence, Classified

    ━━"Think you're going to find me in a storage closet?"

    Clara can't lie. She has never been able to lie━she became a flustered mess whenever she tried. But knowing that if she became flustered this time, her and Skye's cover could be blown, and they could die━he could kill them, made the ability to fluster disappear. Instead, her throat was so incredibly dry, it made her voice hoarse. But perhaps it came off for the better (much better than a high-pitch squeaky laugh). When Ward turned around from the storage door━the place he hid Koenig's body━, his shoulders lose their tension when he saw it was her. He slipped the coin into his back pocket (as if thinking she wouldn't notice).

    She swallowed hard, and it felt like nails were scratching down her throat. Her heart was racing. Maybe the fact that everyone knew how much of a terrible liar she was gave her the advantage. Ward would be looking for her obvious signs━like her nervous laughter, the wheezes, the flurry of excuses ... if Clara avoided those, she believed that she should be fine. She had to be fine.

    But her stomach was twisting and turning, knowing that the man that approached her, giving her a gentle smile was nothing but a lie. He was a murderer. He was HYDRA. He could kill her. This whole time ... after everything they've been through ... here he was. Her fear was replaced with a new sense of anger that Clara didn't usually hold. She used it to help her, focusing on that anger instead of the fear to help her smile herself, tilting her head with her gaze sparkling.

    "I was wondering where you went," said Ward, coming to a stop in front of her. How could he smile at her? She wondered. How could he smile after everything he's done? "I went back to the room, you weren't there. Why'd you leave?"

    It was hard to maintain eye-contact. But she did, no matter how much her stomach was bubbling with a mix of fury and fear. She remembered what Skye told her before she left. Twist the truth, don't blatantly lie.

    "I got scared," Clara blurted out before she could think.

    Her chest opened up with relief when she saw him nod, thinking back to their conversation about her mother (oh, god, she told him that!━but perhaps it was a good thing, because now she could use it. She could twist the truth).

    Bravely, she took a step closer. "I wanted to believe what you said ... but I just ... I guess I had to take a moment to run away and think."