||Chapter 28||

Tate

We're instructed to line up as we would be performing the Tango. I'm matched with a girl I didn't recognise who probably wasn't from Northdale. Sway by Micheal Bubble starts to play and the girls begin to strut towards the guys one leg sweeping in front of the other with each step. I take my hands out of my pockets as the girls break the line dividing the two of us right on beat "When marimba rhythm starts to play dance with me..." the songs starts and we step in sync. Even I was impressed by how formal everyone looked performing "Katie" the girl I was dancing with interrupts my thoughts as she smiles. I scan her seeing she was wearing a white silk dress with two splits on the side, strappy heels, over straightened hair and lip fillers. From what I could tell she was the Kaylee of her school. I'm about to answer her when she answers for me "Tate Kerrington" she says not batting an eye as we move to the song "Have we met" I ask confused "No" she says before taking a dip "If we had it would've been a memorable moment" she says as she makes her way back up "I saw you a few times last year at the northdale games" she says before I spin her out "Where is he tonight?" She asks as I reel her back in "River" she clarifies "No idea" I reply bored of the conversation "Well when you see him tell him to call me" she winks as I spin her to her next partner.

My next two partners were not as chatty they mainly kept the same bored face or beauty pageant smile. I could tell which girls were from which school by the way they dressed or acted. Of course there were cliches that were consistent in every school like Katie which made it kind of hard to tell but the way they danced was a give away. Northdale girls danced to be looked at to be the centre of attention, the Eastdale and Westdale girls danced like they wanted it to be over with and the Southdale girls blared their pearly whites like their life depended on it. I couldn't spot that girl I saw when we first came in meaning she wasn't on the other side of the circle which meant she was probably nearby. My third partner looked like she was about to cry if I messed up she was trying so hard. I stopped surveying the room to match her steps not wanting to get anything wrong she suddenly turns her head from our footsteps up to me "Thanks" she says to me as we reach the last few steps "For?" I ask "For actually putting some effort in and not dancing like you're being forced to" She says looking genuinely thankful "No worries let's hope your next partners the same" I say smiling before switching places and spinning her to her next partner.

Suddenly a scent of sweet vanilla and sage hits me as a blur of blonde curls swoops past me. Elena. Our eyes and hands lock stopping her spinning and starting our dance together. I blink still shocked she was even here. I hardly recognised her. If it weren't for her sparkling smile and kind eyes I probably wouldn't have. "Well don't you look happy" she says smiling at me. All I manage to do is smile back. I had so much I wanted to say to her was she alright? what was she doing here? How did she even get in? And where did she learn to dance like this? My mouth still refuses to work and all I end up saying is "Hi" I wanted to face palm myself but my hands were glued to hers.

Cecelia

I was already super anxious after the head master pointed out my dad on stage. It was weird cause no one knew he was my dad so it didn't really matter or affect me but the fact that I knew he was my dad was what made it weird. I was even more anxious after I heard we'd be performing an unrehearsed item in front of everyone.

Luckily I had already been dancing with Matt so I wasn't as nervous as I would have been if it were a stranger I was dancing with. It was a good dance he complimented me throughout the dance and we laughed before I switched partners and it was mostly the same and a little less compliments on my footwork and more so on my dress but I didn't mind it helped me learn to love the dress rather than shy away from it. What I didn't enjoy however was the dirty looks I got from the girls next to me who overheard my conversations.

That was something I didn't get how was it my fault that people were complimenting me? I try my best to have self control and not want to just throw my hood back on  for the rest of high school to avoid situations like this but I hated that I hated not wearing it and how'd it'd become so normal now it'd become a crutch for me.

I despised how it went from something that I needed to something I wanted. Luckily my current partner heard the girl that passed me's comment and helped me feel better "Ignore her I go to school with her and trust me it's not personal" he says rolling his eyes "Well then I feel sorry for you school" I say watching her do the steps with a permanent raised brow "Whats your name sweetheart" he says as he dips me "Cecelia" I say coming back up "Yours?" I ask as he spins me out "Charlie" he replies pulling me back in "Nice to meet you Charlie" I say still trying to focus on my foot work "Like wise" he replies "Hey" he says in a whisper causing me to look up at him "I've seen you dancing you already know the steps let your feet move themselves" he says smiling at me "What do you mean?" I ask "You're focused on the moves you're not enjoying yourself have a little faith in yourself" he says as I take my eyes off of our feet and continue to dance with him with ease "There you go you got it" he says switching places with me "Now kill it with your next partner" he says before spinning me off  to my final partner"Byee" I say quickly before reaching my final partner who was...Tate.

I'm pretty sure my cheeks flush a bright red as he catches my hands in his. I suddenly relax under his touch and get the courage to say something "Well don't you look happy" I say noticing the smile on his face "Hi" is all he replies looking into my eyes "W-What are you doing here" he asks as his hips move in sync with mine "I..." I didn't know what to answer. Telling River about the basics of my family was one thing but when it came to Tate it's like once I started I just wanted to keep going. I didn't know what to answer mainly because of that but also because of how distracting his touch was. It left a lingering tingle on my skin.

After a few more steps I'm finally able to form a reply "My mom forced Liv and I to come" I reply. He continues to look me in the eyes as I circle him "Is she here" He asks looking excited "Yeah but don't let her know you're here she might steal you for the rest of the night" I say as he pulls me in "Oh yeah from who" he says looking me up and down with an amused smile "Oh you know" I say looking around "everyone else" I say not wanting to say she would be stealing him from me "I'm sure I won't be too missed and besides I've missed her" he says spinning me then dipping me as the song finishes "And I've missed you" he whispers softly before lifting me back up. I clear my throat as our eyes remain locked together. It was weird how my breathing began to sync with his. It felt like we were the only two in the room until "Well wasn't that mesmerising can we give a hand to our senior class" the head master cuts in causing me to shift my eyes and turn to face the headmaster.

I could feel Tate's warmth behind me as we listened to the headmaster speak "We will now behind our waltz please grab your partners and enjoy" he says raising his glass before leaving the stage "May I have this dance" I hear Tate ask from behind me. I turn to him and smile "It would be my pleasure" I say taking his hand.