||Chapter 29||

Tate

I guide her hands to the back of my neck and place my hands on her mid back. I didn't want to over step the boundaries but I couldn't help but want to be close to you. As I get lost in her eyes I smile at how beautiful she looked. Not that I cared too deeply about how she looked but there was something about seeing her like this that seemed like she was finally being herself not hiding behind a hood of ducking past people in the hallways. "You seem better today" I say looking down at her as she smiles up at me "I am feeling better today I've had a good day with good company so far" she replies with a genuine smile not the kind she plastered on around River and his boys in the cafeteria "Are you ever going to tell me about what happened yesterday?" I ask which causes her to shy away and look down "It's okay you don't have to tell me I just want to know if there's anything I can do if-" she cuts me off "No" she says abruptly "Don't do anything I don't want to start anything" she says as we move to the sound of Too good to say goodbye by Bruno Mars. I try not to focus on the lyrics too hard considering how weirdly relevant they were. I look around the room as the couples dance when I spot my mom surveying the room as she stood alone. I felt sorry for seeing how uncomfortable she looked.

Most people wouldn't pick up on it considering she was good at hiding it but I knew my mom she didn't like being here because she felt like she didn't belong which I saw as a good thing but I knew how it affected her. I look down at Elena wanting to protect her from everyone especially when the formalities began that was where the real showboating started "you shouldn't be here" I accidentally blurt our as I stare at her "What do you mean?" She asks looking up at me confused "I mean here with these people they're shit people at school imagine what they're like with their entitled parents around who are just as bad if not worse" I say getting a little too serious but I couldn't help it that's how I felt "Why are you here?" I ask confused as to why she's want to be here "My mom forced me" she says looking a little hurt by my words "it's not that you don't belong here it's just these kinds of people aren't..." I attempt to find the word "don't worry about me I've been dealing with these people my whole life" she says with a tight smile she gave when she was uncomfortable. My heart sunk when I saw that smile I never expected her to look at me that way and felt bad for making her feel like that "Elena I didn't mean it like that I meant-" I'm cut off by the announcement of the head master "Well wasn't that beautiful I hope you've all enjoyed yourself we will now make our way to the dining hall where the formalities will commence" he says as the doors to the dining hall open. The crowd begins to trickle in however Elena stays back waiting for everyone else to go in. I feel like it explains myself to her but it felt like the time had already passed "Cecelia where's your mother" an older Italian looking man says approaching her. I look at him assuming he was her father "Oh what are you doing here? we're making our way into the dining hall now" Elena explains as I watch her from the side of her eye "Your mothers asked that i come and since I wasn't busy tonight I thought it would" I scan him up and down and noticed he was wearing cuff links you were awarded when you had been certified in combat. He must've been in security or something. I begin to piece things together remembering a rumour I heard about Elena's mom being a cleaner that's how she could afford to come to the school cause of a guy her family worked for. I guess her father was the security for the family which is why she was invited tonight and why I dropped her off at that huge house before "And who's the Abercrombie model body guard you've got yourself here?" He asks looking at me which causes her to laugh "This is Tate" she says introducing me "Pleasure to meet you Mr Melroe" I say shaking his hand. They look at each other confused as we make our way into the hall. Did I say something wrong? Elena just nods her head at Sergio and smiles "Well hopefully I'll see you later Elena and it was nice to meet you even briefly sir" I say before going to look for my seat "Where are you going?" She asks "Unfortunately It's allocated seating" I reply which causes her  smile to fade "Oh right" she says now looking a little panicked.

"Did you want me to help you find your seat?" He asks as Sergio stands behind me "No I uh..." I attempt to make an excuse so he wouldn't follow considering I'd be sitting next to my dad and mom. "Okay see you soon" he says smiling at me before weaving through the tables. I walk through realising all the tables were arrangements of four I spot my parents and Liv seated towards the front. I stop in place scanning to see if their table was in view of Tate's which it was as I clearly spot him and Annette sitting on the opposite side of the stage "What is it Ms Cecelia?" Sergio asks as I'm paused in my track "N-nothing" I say continuing to my parents table. As we approach I see like the other tables our table only seated four I stand looking confused "Ahh Sergio you've made it" my father says looking glad to see him.

It felt a little  uncomfortable considering there was obviously no room for all of us on the table "Sergio I met the most amazing woman earlier and good news she's singleeee" my mom cheers. I roll my eyes realising this was another one of her tactics to set Sergio up. He hadn't  dated much after the death of his wife Alisia he insisted he was focusing on his career which I didn't get considering he had a fortune back in Italy from the business his father left him yet he chose to stay and work as the head of security and a private driver for fun I guess.

My parents were really pushing him to find someone more specifically my mom who believed everyone belonged with someone "She's sitting on the opposite end of the dining hall with her son she has two of them they're both in Elena's year level" she says causing my heart to drop "One of her sons couldn't make it tonight and since everything's set up in fours she has two extra seats at her table and I told her I had a friend who would be happy to join her and" my mom says pointing over at the table "her son Tate" I gulp realising my mom was trying to set Sergio up with Annette.

Sergio laughs shaking his head "Oh come on serg take the night off and live a little we'll call Marco to drive us home" my dad says winking at him. Sergio continues to shake his head "Id call you guys crazy if I didn't love you's so much" he winks at my dad before heading over to Annette's table "You guys enjoy your night" he finishes as he walks.

A/N: Hey guys I'll be doing a couple more updates before my exams start in a few days. Thought I'd add a little more to Sergio in this chapter since people were messaging me asking what his story was. Anyways Hope you're all doing well especially those in quarantine x thanks for all the support!