15

harry's pov

I stood there with a stunned face, considering I hadn't spoken to my mum in many, many years. Ever since we had a fight about my step dad and how I was rebelling against her plans, I completely cut her out of the picture. 

"Hi, Harry," my mum said, shyly. She seemed so scared that I'd completely shun her out. But I was just a kid beforehand, and I've forgiven and forgotten since then and could never turn down the woman who gave me life. Never again.

"Hi mum." That was all I managed. 

"Who's this?" She asked with a soft smile, looking towards Violet. I was suddenly warm at the thought of introducing a girlfriend to my mom. This was a first. I never got this opportunity. 

"This is my girlfriend, Violet." I said, with a smile. From the corner of my eye I could see Violet smile too.

"Nice to meet you." Violet said, smiling, and shaking my mom's hand. They smiled wide at each other as I just stood there stunned. 

"Come on inside, it's a bit cold out there." She said, moving her and I out of the way so my mum could come in. She stumbled in, rubbing her hands over her arms. "Do you want anything to eat or drink?" Violet asked.  My mom nodded back to her, smiling wide. Violet smiled back and walked into the other room, and that's when my mom's smile faded, unfortunately. 

"So you've got a girlfriend you didn't even bother telling me about?" She said, in a sad whisper. I was most definitely taken aback because of course I didn't tell her, we weren't on speaking terms. I frowned.

"Well yeah mum, we haven't talked in a long time." I said.  Violet made clanking noises in the kitchen, which would concern me if I weren't occupied. 

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done what I did and I just can't believe I allowed my youngest to be treated that way." She said, with the same sad whisper and frown. 

"You've been forgiven for a long time, I've just grown to live without being surrounded by family." And that was the truth. I had become accustomed to being alone until Violet. Everything was pretty much set in stone before her. 

Now I'm thinking of a future and marriage and kids and shit. It's all so new and exciting and nauseating. It's so scary to think about settling down after being alone since I was eighteen. Freshly out of my childhood home, truly country as well. 

Violet came back into the room and made things more comfortable for both me and my mum. It was one of the best experiences with my mother I had ever had. Just another good quality on  Vi.