Chapter Four

Heavy clouds governed the surroundings. Indeed, it was a gloomy afternoon. Sakura is again, inside the Uzumaki residence where Hinata and Sasuke reside. She set another health assessment for her.

She is busy examining her pulse, her eyes, and her body.

"Anything unusual lately?" Sakura asks as she fixes her medical tools.

It seems Hinata's thoughts were preoccupied with something. Her sight was fixed somewhere outside the window. Possibly, because of the dreary environment.

"Hinata-chan..." She said hoping it will revive her to reality.

No response.

Sakura waggle her hand in front of the woman.

"Hmmm?" Hinata responds as if she misses out on something.

"Your concentration was fixed somewhere. Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm sorry."

"Do you mind telling me?"

"I prefer hiding it for a while."

Sakura looks concerned. "Alright then."

But suddenly, the long silence is interrupted.

"How do you see me, Sakura-chan?"

For a second, the pink-haired was startled. "What do you mean?"

"Am I weak?"

"What?" She gulps.

"Am I weak? That's what I ask."

"No," she responds in a low voice, ashamed.

"Sorry. I'm just hunted by my nightmares," she grips her skirt tight.

"Hinata, everyone has their nightmares," she flashes a smile. It's raining concurrently and the sound of it is like a calming lullaby.

"I am a burden to Naruto."

"What? Hey, what are you thinking?" She almost whispers.

"Disappointments, I believe."

"You can tell me your secrets. Maybe, something that disappoints you."

"And, you'll tell yours, Sakura-chan."

FLASHBACK

Hinata struggles to defend herself every time Hiashi strikes her continuously. Her byakugan almost gave up as she has overused it.

Breathing recklessly, she encourages herself to surrender not.

No, not in front of her father. This is the fifth attempt she battles him in the process of training. Hiashi attacks her as if she isn't his own flesh. Hinata attempted to strike him but that was perhaps a wrong move. As soon as he analyzes what she's trying to do, he smacked her to the ground. She spits blood yet Hiashi settled himself looking at her emotionless as always.

"Is that all that you got?" The old man asks, then walks away.

Neji came and immediately assist her. She can't even stand properly as if something was broken internally. Hiashi halted for a second saying, "Neji, don't spoil her all the time!" And by that, he vanishes.

They were on Hyuga's training ground. Equipment is scattered everywhere. Marks of blades and power were visible on the wall too.

"There will be another training. Help yourself." Neji said as he patted her on the back.

"Arigato."

"Don't thank me. The training is not yet over."

Breathing heavily, Hinata looks high above the blue sky. The sun's rays somehow blind her from appreciating its beauty.

"It's pretty, isn't it?"

Neji stared at her. He uses to hate her before. She and the main branch of the clan. While they are graced with resources, Neji and his family were treated poorly. It may be because of the natural hierarchal structure. Those who were above couldn't care less what was below them. As he grew up, he tends to understand another perspective. Maybe that's the reason why he learns to love her as a family. He learns to accept his responsibility and so, he chose to stay.

"You're supposed to gather your thoughts, not to get mesmerized by the nonsense concept."

She of course responded with a smile. "Nonsense..."

"Lord Hiashi may not grace you with another training today. Grab the chance to rest."

"Yes. Father..." She's mocking him.

"..."

"Father is...harsh sometimes."

Neji looks away saying, "No, he's not. In your perspective, you use your emotions too much and that's why you couldn't understand his stance. You have limited knowledge of what reality is while he has a lot of options in his head and that's why you will never understand his logic. In the end, he's a father after all."

She looks at him full of admiration. I wish I am as strong as you. But I guess life does not favor me from the start. I knew it. I am tired of this. She then raises her right hand as if she's reaching something in midair. I am tired of living like this. Neji, If I ask you to kill me, would you do it? I am constantly drowning and none of you can even notice. I am not okay anymore. I feel empty. I feel worthless. This isn't what I want. Why don't you all understand? But, What choice do I have?

She wanted to rest but the idea of resting inside her clan's compound stifles her. She needs to see nature for it can surely calm her mind. Walking, she spotted a lake with a wooden platform. She decided to spend her remaining time witnessing the dusk.

She sighs, relieves, and makes herself comfortable. Konoha's nature is truly breathtaking. She gasps. Mother, are you looking at me now? I will be the clan's heiress soon. Are you proud? I hope I made you so. She breathes heavily. MotherI am tired. I am very tired...

Meanwhile, he began to advance his feet towards her. She of course sensed him. He expects her to get intimidated as everyone else. He expects her to apologize! He expects her to leave and finally let him take over the place with peace. But her response made his manner untamed because she is not even afraid of him at all.

Hinata knew who he is. Uchiha Sasuke. They never had the chance to exchange conversations before. She knew Sasuke was once a traitor. I'm glad Naruto succeeded in bringing you back. She thought for herselfShe only glances at him once but his expression remains stoic, turmoiled perhaps?

A sudden realization hit her. This is maybe his favorite area but she stole it. Oh no! 

"Thank you for letting me sit here, Sasuke-san," she finally broke the silence. As indifferent as he is, he remains hushed. 'Who is this again?' He asks himself. 'Ah, Hyuga.' He finally remembered.

Hinata helps herself and decided to go home. Walking away from him, She once again tries to look in his direction.

"Sasuke-san." She halts from talking since she's having a second thought or perhaps in between. "I am happy. Welcome home."

What to expect from an Uchiha? She already knew he won't respond yet she continued to look at the Uchiha symbol on his back.

She knew, behind those cold eyes were sadness, regrets, and the worst, pain. He's maybe hunted of tragic and overwhelming nightmares too. She can empathize with him because she is experiencing the same way. Someday, you'll find your purpose for living Sasuke-san. Hold on a little more.

To her surprise, the man glances at her. She flinches as soon as their eyes met. The breeze suddenly swirls causing her hair to levitate.

"What?" His voice is deep with a mixture of harshness.

"N-Nothing...I'll go home now." She bows and continued walking.

Sasuke then looks away, uninterested.