Chapter Fourteen

Hanabi sips the coffee not minding its bitter taste while Hinata prepares the buffet. It is New year's eve and the atmosphere seems euphoric.

Hinata is back to her miserable life. She's pathetic. Yes, she admitted it a long time ago. But she is just in love.

Why do people keep on running back to the person who hurts them badly? Maybe because of memories? Maybe because of the time and effort exerted? Maybe because there's a comfort of familiarity and she focuses more on the good side rather than the reasons that hurt her the most. Or maybe she just won't let him go? No. Love is a gamble anyway.

"You're pathetic," Hanabi said while looking somewhere outside. Hinata did not respond. It is indeed a statement of fact.

"Wear your thick coat later, alright? It's getting colder," Hinata retaliates as she turns off the stove.

"From the beginning, I don't like him. Look what he had done to you!"

"Enough!"

"Hinata!"

Silence

The sudden hush made them hear the small steps coming from the main door. Indeed, someone entered the house. It was the blonde. "Tadaima," he is quite tired.

"Oh! You're home!" Hanabi greeted him sarcastically.

Naruto drew a smile and rub his head. "Hanabi-san!"

The young Hyuga fixes herself and put her cup on the sink. "What a shame, isn't it?" She eyed Naruto maliciously.

Silence

"Naruto-Kun...I know you are tired," she approaches him and holds his hand firmly. "I'll serve you the dinner."

Naruto stayed where he is, standing there like a cold stone. "Hinata...I need to―"

"Naruto," she cuts him off. "Tonight is new years eve. I have many plans for us. Let's go to that place. You...remembered, right?" She flashes a fake smile.

She knew how this conversation ends but she will try to win him back. At least for the last time, she will save their relationship. Even if it hurts. Even it stabbed her many times. Even if it kills her. She will not surrender. It's one way or another.

Naruto looks at her with pity. His face crumpled with pain. But why? Maybe because they somehow shared good memories. They somehow shared night talks. She once became his strength when he was down. She gave him light. Maybe that's the reason why...

"Hinata, I think. I―" He's hesitant to say the next words. The house is filled with sadness as he looks into her eyes. The pale eyes he usually goes back home to. The woman whom he thought he wanted to settle down with. If he can just turn the time back. Then maybe, he'll choose the other way around. She is too good to be with him. It is unfair. Too unfair. It's making the relationship toxic. They've been together for years yet, he always finds reasons to be away from her.

Her presence and gentleness choke him. It makes him feel guilty. Every time she kisses him, every time she hugs him, every time she reminds him how much she loves him. All of those overwhelmed him. Maybe, he's not ready for this. Maybe because he thought she can help him heal. Maybe she's too good. Maybe. No. There are plenty of reasons to tell but the tragedy and what hurts his ego, maybe, he doesn't love her the way she loves him. The naked truth he once buries in his mind. He doesn't and truly loves her at all.

"Naruto..." She forces a smile. "I know," her voice cracked. "I can feel it. I just don't want to admit it. The way you treated me. The way you looked at me. Everything has changed."