Chapter Five

The Hyuga elders gathered inside the compound's hall. Chats and murmurs can be heard and that's when Hiashi and Hinata entered the room.

Everyone halts as their attention are on them now. Hinata can feel the strange stare. It is way too cold. The people inside the room are part of her clan but it feels so distant, somewhat odd, and very uninviting.

She lowers her gaze, intimidated. What choice does she have anyway? She was tied with an obligation the day she was born.

"Thank you for your presence. It was indeed an honor for me. Today, I officially announce to everyone, my daughter, Hinata Hyuga. She will be the clan's heiress. This shall be known for it has been decided."

Murmurs.

Hinata knew. She wasn't the elders' best choice but because she is born in the main branch, there are no other options. As she looks at them, she can clearly see humiliation, she's being underestimated. The gazes tell her how weak she is.

Neji trains with Hinata continuously. They exchange heavy-hand defense but she gets outbalanced oftentimes.

"You lost, again..." It's a statement of fact.

She smiled, helping herself. Neji assists her as well.

"I know. It's fine for me to lose the fight as long as it's you..."

"Pathetic."

She looks up to the sky once more saying, "Neji-san. Do you know what day is it?"

"Why?"

She raises her hand like she usually does. She imagined she can touch the clouds. "It's my birthday. How can you forget?" Her tone is both disappointed and sad.

"It's the day you were born. I apologize."

"You don't need to. How about father? Did he perhaps...remember?"

Silence

"Since it's your special day, I'll give you permission to enjoy it."

Hinata's eyes widened. "Are you serious?"

"Yes," he said, looking away from her.

"What if father finds out?"

"You don't need to worry about that."

"Ah...then, I'll get going. Arigato, Nii-san." By that, she rushes outside the compound. As soon as she disappeared, Neji look at Hiashi's shadow from the corner.

"She's gone. You can show yourself, Lord Hiashi."

The clan's leader gazes up to the sky to finally reveal himself. "Let her enjoy this day for a while, Neji. That's all I ask."

She bought a flower for herself. She even bought her favorite cinnamon roll. She gladly walks on the busy street of Konoha. Later on, she spotted Sasuke on the vegetable stand. She decided to at least talk to him and perhaps seal good terms because the last meeting was such a mess.

"Good day, Sasuke-san?"

The raven flinches, ungoverned. He only looks at her once and looks away immediately. He continues to pick tomatoes, stoic as always.

Suddenly, Hinata helps him pick as well. He did not protest or show any emotions. He just wants peace. No talking. No explanations. Just silence and it's enough.

"Last time, we did not have any proper conversations," she smiled because she thought if she can be close to Sasuke, for sure, she'll get Naruto's affection too. "So, let me pay for this." She then handed the money to the old lady. She bowed to show respect and as a result, Sasuke was startled. He's giving her the 'WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME' look. She sweetly smiled as a response.