11: Voodoo Magic

"Aren't you a sight for sore eyes?"

Selene stopped before Brent with her arms crossed at him. She cocked her head sideways and looked at him squarely.

"And aren't you a pain in the ass?" Selene retorted.

He smirked, "You are early today." He commented.

Selene looked away bored and sighed in exhaustion.

Brent snapped his fingers, "Haden called you here didn't he? I wonder why.." He trailed off, pretending to think about it.

Selene pulled her lips into a thin line and smiled sarcastically through them. "Why indeed!"

When Haden called her this morning to meet him up urgently, she knew it was something to do with her dead clients. With Brent being cocky and all happy about it, only confirmed her suspicion that he was the one to slip this information to Haden.

Selene walked past him, towards the stairs for Haden's room.

"See you later, if you are alive." He remarked behind her.

She gritted her teeth and continued walking towards the Devil's room.

She knocked on the door twice before entering in. Haden was speaking on the phone with his back towards her.

She glanced around his room as she waited silently. His bed was unmade and dirty with clothes scattered all around and over it. She was sure there were women's undies among them.

His room was very familiar to her. It had to be, this used to be her escapade for many years.

"You're late." Haden's voice brought her back to the present.

"Yeah I know, I woke up late." She answered as he continued to walk towards her.

"Something to do with your late night rendezvous?" He half stated and half questioned.

Selene stopped the urge to gulp in fear as he closed the gap between them and cornered her to a wall.

"Have you heard back from your clients?" He asked, towering over her.

"No, the deals were closed, I didn't-"

Selene's words caught in her throat. Literally.

Haden gripped her lean neck into his big rough hands in a death hold.

"Don't fucking lie to me." He warned, squeezing it further.

"Hade-Haden!" Selene croaked out, feeling her chest constrict.

She hit his hands, trying to make him release his grip on her neck. Her lungs started to burn and black dots started to appear as if she's looking through a noise filter in her phone.

Haden looked at her reddened eyes and congested face. He released a sharp exhale through his nose before loosening her grip in her.

Selene gasped soundly through her dry throat and wheezed in and out through her mouth.

She held her neck where it hurt and sent a shocked yet angry glare towards Haden.

"I killed Jace!" She announced through her croaky voice, "He was fucking high and was gonna kill me for the drugs without even paying!" She huffed and continued, "He got out of control so I had to off him."

Haden crossed his arms over his chest, staring down at her, his eyes swiftly contemplating what he heard.

"And Will?"

"Will was healthy and alive the last time I left him. We closed our deal and went separate ways. I don't know what happened to him."

She coughed out her lie with the best poker face she could put on. A long pregnant silence followed after that as if Haden was waiting for her to elaborate. But she didn't he would expect her to explain if she was lying, so she didn't and continued to stare back at him as if she was done.