31: The Zebra

"My parents' identity. Can you give me that?" Selene joked.

Keir's face fell listening to her words. He robotically got up from the chair and walked a few feet away from her.

Selene stood there awkwardly, wondering what she had said for him to react this way.

"What's wrong?"

Keir glanced at her and then back outside the window.

"I'm the reason you are giving up your parents?" He asked.

"No.." She tried to lie but his condescending look shut her up. "Yes." She sighed.

"Why didn't you tell me this?"

"Keir-" Selene cut herself off, sighing in defeat.

"Whatever I did is my decision and I have no regrets." She walked towards him and placed her palm against his face.

"It is your only hope. Don't you want to know your parents? I know you do." Keir tried to bring some sense into her.

"I do." She answered truthfully. "But like I said, it's my decision to make."

Keir exhaled sharply, annoyed by her stubbornness.

"If we are talking about our own decisions, let me tell you that I decided to give myself up to NIA," Keir said.

"What?!" Selene jerked her hand off his face like she was hit by electricity.

"If you don't give me to them yourself and stand by your deal, I'll put that decision in action." He challenged her.

Selene scoffed in disbelief. She couldn't put words to tell him that if he is the price for her parents, she doesn't want that.

Keir closed his eyes, calming himself. Looking at her panicked face concerned him.

"Look, angel." He talked in a more smooth tone than earlier. "I'm many things but not a selfish man who would take away his girl's only wish."

And I'm not who would give away her love for someone who was never there for me, she wanted to say but didn't. She knew he would do anything to convince her to give him up.

"I-I can come up with something. Like a plan? To get their identity and not break the deal?" She reasoned.

Keir nodded, somewhat relieved.

Selene grabbed his palm that was inching to her face.

"Promise me you will not do anything stupid until then." Her words sounded more like a warning.

Keir nodded, smiling assuringly.

"Promise me." She demanded.

"I promise."

***

Keir scrunched his face in distaste as he glanced up at the barely lit Hudson club board.

"Downtown needs a new meeting place," He muttered.

Selene nodded in agreement. He was right Hudson club is the oldest and commonest meeting place. Everyone here meets everyone. No wonder they've met here too.

It's a surprise that this club is large enough, spreading half of the town. If it wasn't for the single storied - dark alleyway, shitty club vibes that it spewed it could've been remodeled into a large commercial hotel.

"Let's go." She took his hand in hers and they made their way in.

Booming sounds of music and air that smelt like smoke and piss hit them as soon as they stepped in. It must be something she should've gotten used to by now but she never did.