24: Precarious

Keir admired Selene as the sunlight hit her dishevelled hair from behind, glowing like golden threads.

In the last night's hurry he forgot to close the blinds of the glass wall though he won't mind the beauty that it created.

He previously had trouble sleeping at night with nightmares every now and then. Since he revisited the nightmare, he was sure that he would experience them again.

He didn't want Selene to see a sweat drenched gasping mess in the middle of the night. So he decided not to sleep altogether.

A slow smile formed on his lips reminiscing everything that happened in his room. He wished they could stay here a little longer and not go back to Downtown.

Pulling out his hand beneath her back, he tucked a hair strand out of her face. His fingers lingered over her cheek, running featherly along her cheekbone. She was a beauty to withhold.

He came across many women who are criminals but never met someone like her. Then again, he tossed the thought away, comparing her to them is an insult to her.

He wondered how she managed to work with those brutal men like Haden and stay in one piece. If anything he knew, she is very strong at heart and mind.

Keir leaned over, softly pecking her pouty lips. It's a peculiar way to sleep, he thought.

He ended up waking her up. She stirred and groggily opened her eyes to find the handsome killer smiling at her. Last night's events jogged up her memory, comforting her that everything was real and not just a sweet dream.

"You're awake?" She croaked out.

He didn't answer, he was too busy watching her.

"You didn't sleep, did you?" She answered for him.

He responded with a slight shake of his head, still smiling.

"Why are you smiling?" She asked, feeling her lips curve into a smile as well.

His smile just grew more. He was busy imprinting this scene before him in his mind, making sure he would never forget it.

Selene closed his eyes with her palm, "Stop..." She giggled.

He chuckled and laid beside her, reluctantly staring at the ceiling. It was Selene's turn to look at him but his smile was gone now, replaced by a thin line. She propped up on her elbows placing a concerned look.

"I was thirteen when I knew something was wrong with me," He said suddenly.

Selene sat up crossing her legs and listened to him attentively.

"After that incident, I went mute. Mom and grandma were concerned. They tried everything, therapy, hospitals but I didn't speak. I couldn't." He spoke, still staring at the ceiling.

"Then one day mum was rushed to hospital. She was in labour with Jenny. I was so scared that I would lose her too. I was angry-" He paused and looked at her, "I wanted to hurt Jenny, as I was convinced that she is behind this problem. After a half day long struggle, Jenny came to this world. I went into their room. Mom was tired and asleep. Jenny was in a crib beside her-"

Selene stiffened not really sure what to expect next.

"I pulled her out of the crib and walked out of the room. I was determined to toss her away, anywhere. My quick movements woke her up and she watched me with her big eyes." He paused, a small smile grew on his lips.

"Her beautiful eyes reminded me of my mother. Not the rapist, not that terrible night. Just my mom. She gave me an innocent smile oblivious to the plans I had in my mind.