33: Not Today

"Nervous?"

Brent's voice boomed from behind, making Selene jump in surprise.

He laughed at her pale, scared face finding humour in a satisfying way.

"No, excited for this once in a lifetime opportunity." Selene remarked with sarcasm.

"Alright, the goods are here. You, I and the goods will go in. I'll assist till the front room and no more. Once we are in, you'll have fifteen, maximum twenty minutes before the security will barge in. Got it?" Brent explained the plan.

Selene gulping down the nervous bile in her throat.

"Twenty fucking minutes? How am I supposed to check in goods, hack Haden's computer, copy his evidence in just twenty minutes?"

Brent stared down at her, his features darkening, "Twenty minutes. No more no less. The treasury security is above my reach."

Selene nodded curtly. She'll have to do with that.

They made their way to the top floor of the mansion, which is solely built for treasury.

Selene could see four buff men standing either side of the large tightly shut metal doors. They looked almost like lifeless statues.

They were different, compared to the rogue soldiers Haden had in his army. They looked more trained, specifically for this purpose.

"Where's Haden?" She asked, hoping the change of topic would distract her from the thought of facing those four bulls in the front.

"Out. Partying with his beloved dealers. Once I'm the king, I'll change them first." Brent muttered to himself but quite audible to Selene beside him.

Selene gave him a bitter look and turned away rolling her eyes.

"A makeover to this empire is a must. He happens to trust the wrong people." Brent leaned sideways and spoke, making sure she understood the hidden meaning under his words.

Selene gave a wry smile and looked from his head to toe, "Clearly."

He exhaled sharply at her remark, "Good to see your sarcastic spirits are high, even at the death hour."

"At Least I'll die with style." She gave a smirk.

The long corridors of the top floor didn't seem to end. The doors of the treasury only seem to grow bigger.

"Brent! Selene! Wait up!" They heard a voice catching up with them.

Selene's eyes were wide as saucers, when she saw Shana running towards them in the corridor in her black vans.

"Wai-" She huffed, trying to catch her breath.

They watched as she exhaled and inhaled deeply with her palms on her knees for a whole minute.

"Shana? What are you doing here?" Brent asked in surprise.

"I'm coming with you guys. Into the treasury."

"No way!" "The hell you are coming!"

Brent and Selene yelled at the same time.

Selene took a step back and tried to communicate her confusion with Shana through her eyes.

She is confused as to why Shana would blow her cover up and decide to jump into this mission at the last minute.

Shana ignored her and looked directly at Brent.

"I hate to agree with Selene but she's right. You can't go with her. It's not a safe place, not for a lovely girl like you." Brent tried to convince her.