Freshman Year

(Two years later)

"Okay Mal, you can do this." Mal was telling herself in front of her mirror.

Mal? Are you coming? Ben is waiting for you." Her mom walked in and told her.

"Yeah sorry." Mal shook her head.

She grabbed her bag and phone and walked downstairs. She walked outside and saw Ben standing there.

"Ready to go?" Mal asked.

"Yeah, but before we go my mom wants to take a picture of us." Ben told her.

"Surprised my mom hasn't come out here yet to do the same." Mal replied looking back at her house. 

"Alright you two get together." Ben's mom said as she walked out of Ben's house.

"I almost forgot." Mal's mom said as she came out and was walking over to them.

After both their moms took their picture they said goodbye. Then Ben and Mal started making their way to school.

"So how are you feeling? Excited? Nervous?" Ben was asking.

"I guess a little of both. I mean after this we only have three years left of school. Then it's off to college. Or wherever you go." Mal said and smirked at Ben.

"What is that supposed to mean? You don't think I'm gonna go to college?" Ben questioned giving Mal a look.

"I didn't say that. It's just whatever you decide to do." Mal responded.

(At school)

Ben and Mal walked into school and they both looked at the school scared.

"Come on we can do this." Ben told her. 

Ben was smiling at Mal and walking backwards. Then he bumped into someone.

"Yo freshy watch where you're going." An older kid said to Ben sounding annoyed.

"S-sorry." Ben turned and said stuttering.

"Oh y-you are?" The kid asked mocking Ben. "Let's go guys." He said to his friends. "Enjoy freshman year!" He called back to Ben.

"Come on let's go." Mal grabbed Ben's hand and ran away.

"Was that a junior or senior?" Ben wondered as Mal was pulling him. 

"Who knows." Mal answered with a shrug.

"Well whatever they were I hope we're not like that when we're in their grade." Ben mentioned. 

"Yeah let's hope." Mal responded. 

(A couple hours later)

Mal was walking out of her class. Then someone walked up beside her.

"Hi." A boy greeted her.

"Hi..." Mal looked over at him. "Can I help you?" 

"I'm Evan. We're in the same English class." He reminded her.

"Oh." Mal nodded pretending to remember. "So did you need something?"

"Well I just wanted to see if you wanted to go out with me?" Evan asked.

"What? But we just met." Mal replied. 

"Technically not. I liked you last year too, but I never got the courage to actually ask you out." Evan explained.

"Well I have a boyfriend." Mal told him.

"Really? Who?" Evan questioned.

"Please! please, please, please!" Mal was begging.

"No." Ben said.

"Why not?" Mal sat down across from Ben in the cafeteria. 

"Mal I'm not gonna pretend to be your boyfriend just so you can get some guy to leave you alone." Ben told her.

"But it's just like being my best friend. Don't you care about me?" Mal wondered.

"Of course I do, but why can't you just be honest?" Ben answered and asked.

"Because I don't want to hurt him. It won't be long. Just until he loses interest in me." Mal explained.

"What if he never does?" Ben questioned.

"Well then..." Mal was thinking about what to say.

"I'm sorry Mal, but no." Ben said, then stood up to throw his trash away.

(After school)

Ben and Mal reached their houses. Mal started walking towards her house and Ben stood there.

"Hey." He called to her.

Mal stopped and turned around to him. "Yeah?" 

"Did I do something? Are you mad at me?" Ben checked.

"No. Why would you think that?" Mal questioned.

"You barely talked on the way home." Ben told her.

"Just tired. It's been a long day. I'll see you tomorrow." Mal waved, then walked to her house.

Mal got into her room, throw her bag on the floor, and laid on her bed. 

"Hey how'd your first day go?" Her mom asked popping her head in the doorway.

"Fine. Just long." Mal responded sitting back up. 

"Yeah first days usually are." Her mom mentioned. "Well I'm gonna run to the store. Did you want to come?" 

"No, I think I just want to relax." Mal replied.

"Alright then I'll be back soon." Her mom said and was about to leave.

"Hey wait Mom?" Mal said to her.

Her mom turned back around. "Yeah?"

"Well today a boy asked me out." Mal started telling her.

"Oh! How exciting. What did you say?" Her mom asked looking interested.

"I told him I have a boyfriend." Mal answered.

"You do? I thought you..." Her mom was going to say.

"I don't. I just told him that. But I asked someone to pretend to be my boyfriend." Mal kept explaining.

"What did they say?" Her mom questioned.

"They said no." Mal stated.

"Well then honey, you need to do the right thing. You need to tell them the truth. Even if that means hurting him." Her mom told her.

"Okay thanks Mom." Mal smiled at her.

Her mom smiled back, then spoke. "Is the boy you asked to pretend to be your boyfriend the guy you like?" 

"Yeah..." Mal said awkwardly.

"You shouldn't do that. If you have them do that, then they're just think of it as a favor. And they'll never actually fall in love with you." Her mom explained.

"Okay. Good to know Mom thanks." Mal nodded.

"Okay." Her mom smiled. "I'm gonna head out soon."

"Okay bye." Mal slightly smiled, then her mom left and Mal laid back down.