Welcome To Drama

(A week later)

"So when are you supposed to find out if you made the team?" Mal asked as her and Ben walked into school.

"Today." Ben stated looking nervous.

"Ben I'm sure you'll make the team. You're really good. And if you don't, then they'll be missing out." Mal told him.

"Thanks Mal. Makes me feel a bit better." Ben responded.

"Hey what's this?" Mal walked over to a sign up sheet for drama club on the bulletin board. "Ben are you seeing this?" 

"I'm seeing it." Ben started smiling.

"I'm joining. You wanna join with me?" Mal said and asked.

"Sorry Mal, but you know drama club isn't really my thing." Ben replied.

"I know we've been best friends for nine years. I just thought maybe you'd want to try with me this time." Mal explained.

"Sorry." Ben slightly looked down, then back at Mal. "You could see if Evie wants to." 

"Yeah I guess." Mal shrugged, then she wrote her name on the sign up sheet."  

(At lunch)

"Drama?" Evie checked. 

"Yeah you know, acting and stuff." Mal was trying to remind her.

"Yeah I know what drama is it's just I haven't done in since seventh grade." Evie told her.

"That was only two years ago." Mal said.

"I know, I know... It's just..." Evie was trying to get the words out.

"Hey Evie. See you at practice today?" One of the cheerleaders asked Evie as her and a few others walked by them.

"Yep." Evie replied with a smile.

After they walked away Mal looked over at Evie. 

"I'm sorry Mal." Evie said.

"It's okay. I get it. You're on the cheerleading team." Mal said nodding. 

Then Mal got up and walked out of the cafeteria.

(After school)

Mal walked into the classroom where the drama club was being held. 

"Hi there. Welcome." The drama teacher greeted Mal.

"Hi." Mal replied shyly.

"Come on in." The teacher said to Mal calmly and friendly. "I'm Mrs. A." 

A few minutes later Evie and a few other cheerleaders were walking by the classroom. Evie looked in and stopped when she saw Mal talking to a boy. 

"I'll catch up with you guys later." Evie told the others and waited for them to walk away, then she walked into the classroom.

"Hi there." Mrs. A greeted Evie.

"Hi." Evie responded and was trying to look past her.

"Are you alright?" Mrs. A checked. 

"Yeah, yeah." Evie nodded not really paying attention. "Excuse me." 

Then Evie walked past Mrs. A and walked over to Mal and the boy. 

"Hi there." Evie greeted them.

"Evie? What are you doing here?" Mal questioned as she looked back at Evie.

"I thought I'd stop by and say hello." Evie answered. "Who's your friend?"

"Oh right Evie this is Derek. Derek this is my friend, Evie." Mal introduced them.

"Hi. You're in drama too?" Derek wondered.

"No she's..." Mal started to say.

"Yeah, yeah I am." Evie interrupted her.

Mal looked up at her confused. 

"Great." Derek smiled. 

"Yeah, but uh... I can't come today, but I will next time." Evie told him.

"Oh okay." Derek nodded. "Maybe I'll see you later then." 

"Yeah bye." Evie slowly started backing and smiling. 

(Later)

"Evie what was that?" Mal ran up to Evie and asked.

"What do you mean?" Evie replied questioning.

"You told Derek that you're in drama club when you're not and didn't want to be." Mal explained to her.

"Yeah..." Evie was saying awkwardly.

"Why did you say that?" Mal wondered.

"Because I... I..." Evie was trying to tell her.

"Do you like him?" Mal asked. 

"Um... Yeah he's pretty cute." Evie responded. 

"Okay well you didn't have to lie." Mal told her.

"Yeah, but what if he only likes girls that are in drama?" Evie questioned.

"Well if he doesn't then it's his loss." Mal replied.

"Hey!" Derek called to them and ran up to them. 

"Hey Derek." Mal responded and Evie just smiled.

"Hey Evie, right?" He checked when he caught up to them.

"Yep that's me." Evie grinned nervously.

"Yeah um... I was wondering if maybe you would want to hang out this weekend?" Derek asked.

"Really? But we just met." Evie reminded him.

"I know, but I want to get to know you better." Derek responded.

Um..." Evie looked over at Mal and Mal just shrugged, then she looked back at Derek. "Yeah, yeah I'd love to." 

"Great. Well I see you ladies tomorrow." Derek said before he walked away.

(Later at Ben's house)

"So what's so wrong?" Ben questioned. "Aren't you happy Evie has a date with someone?" 

"Well yeah of course. It's just she lied and said she was in drama club just so he'd like her." Mal explained.

"Maybe she'll tell him the truth." Ben suggested. "I don't think you should worry about too much." 

"Yeah I guess you're right." Mal nodded agreeing.

"Good. So you want to play?" Ben asked motioning towards the living room.

Mal looked at him and smile. "Sure."

Ben smiled too and they both quickly ran out to the living room. 

(Later)

Mal walked back over to her house and up to her room, then she got a text from Evie. 

Evie: Mal! Mal I need your help!

Mal: What? What's wrong?

Evie: Derek found my Instagram and messaged me! What do I say?

Mal: Just say hey and start a conversation.

Evie: Alright I'll try.

Mal threw her phone down on her bed and laid down on the bed too with a sigh.