13 | The First Task

hocus pocus

- focus

Content Warning: In case anyone here is sensitive regarding gambling, Fred and George take bets at the event like they do in the movie.

The first task fell on a crisp November afternoon after classes. The crowd was rowdy and excited, thrilled to see what the first task would entail. Everyone walked down together to the quidditch field now turned arena.

Draco picked up Cilla in the Slytherin commons. He was standing beside the staircase to the girls dorms, gazing out at the Black Lake like he usually was. He had an air of cool surrounding him... and smugness. Maybe Cedric was right.

As they walked with the rest of the house to the arena, Draco swatted his friends away to get some one on one time with Cilla. He didn't get too close and didn't flirt, so Cilla didn't mind.

"I think Potter is gonna get bit -" he looked at Cilla quickly, remembering their conversation the other night, "sorry," he said lamely. "I don't think he can compare to Viktor Krum though, you can't deny me that opinion."

"The kid with a scar on his face versus a quidditch world cup champion? You're not wrong there," Cilla joked to ease him a bit. She appreciated his effort to break his bad habit of name calling every Gryffindor with a pulse. "I think Cedric is going to do great! I helped him come up with his gameplan."

Draco nodded in contemplation. "It'll be him or Krum that'll take the lead, thats my bet."

"What about Fleur?"

"Can you dance around a dragon?" Draco quipped in his aristocratic manner, making Cilla howl with laughter.

As they approached the stadium, they saw students cheering the names of the four champions and had homemade signs in blue, yellow, red, and deep burgundy. Crabbe and Goyle had one that crudely misspelled Cedric's name. The two had written 'Cedick' in big green letters on their poster, and McGonagall confiscated it.

Cilla looked at the stands to find her friends.

The Weasley twins walked around the stadium placing bets rather loudly despite it being illegal to gamble on campus. Those two were saving up for something, they had mentioned bets before. Cilla tired not to stare at Fred as he laughed and joked around, completely in his element. She'll have to talk to him later about who had the most bets placed.