2

(Flashback)

Your mother was screaming at you once again. You tuned her out, forcing yourself to think of something, anything else. You don't even know what you were in trouble for this time. Everything you do is criticized by your family. Even when you try to be perfect, they find something wrong with that, too. So you just stopped trying. And here you are.

Your mom noticed you weren't listening, slapping you across the face.

"Don't you hear me, you little bitch? Or do you not care? You're so fucking disrespectful!" She snapped. The words didn't pierce you anymore like they did when you first heard them. That was so long ago that you don't even remember your age.

Your indifferent expression angered your mother even more.
"Oh, I know what'll make you care!" She sadistically smiled, turning into your room.

You stood up to follow her. Looking into your doorway, you saw her snatch your guinea pig from its cage and held it by its neck. It was squealing and screaming for help.

"Mom, please don't-" you screamed as she slammed the poor creature onto your floor. It squealed and tried to run away, but to no avail. You ran to try and save him but before you could make one step, your mom picked him back up and snapped his neck.

You screamed, falling to the floor.

"I HATE YOU!" You screamed as you pounded your fists onto the floor.

"I can tell. Pack your bags. You're leaving." Your mom spat. You couldn't breathe. She kicked the corpse of your beloved pet to you.

"Don't forget this," she said. You closed your eyes to avoid the sight of the poor thing.

Shaking, you retrieved an old shoebox from your closet, and placed paper flowers you had made as birthday decorations for yourself one year in it, along with a soft blanket. Then, you gently picked up your pet and placed him in the box. You tried not to look at him, knowing that memory would be in your mind forever.

You closed the box, writing his name and birthday on it with shakey hands. Then, you lit a candle and prayed for his soul to Rest In Peace. You looked at his cage, where your other guinea pig still lived. Your eyes welled up with tears as you realized that your other pet wouldn't understand why his brother was now...gone.

You took a deep breath and pushed those tears down. You can't cry. Now, it's time to get the fuck out of here.